dvd burner

Could anyone recommend a free dvd burning program ?
posted by sgt.serenity to Computers & Internet (11 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

i use videora for my ipod stuff, and i know they have a range of stuff. it was a free download, so worth checking the avail products out i guess
posted by edtut at 1:10 AM on November 8, 2006

What Operating System are you using?
posted by kenchie at 1:20 AM on November 8, 2006

Every DVD burner I've ever bought came with a burner program. That's "free" in the sense that it doesn't cost extra.
posted by Steven C. Den Beste at 3:29 AM on November 8, 2006

Response by poster: im using windows xp home - i got nero with the install but it doesnt actually do anything other than ask you to buy a copy.
posted by sgt.serenity at 4:20 AM on November 8, 2006

Deepburner Free will burn data DVDs. You need the paid version for video DVDs though.
posted by punilux at 5:06 AM on November 8, 2006

This may be only half an answer...

If you already have an image of a video DVD, with the .vob files, etc., the free version of DVD Santa will put it on a playable DVD for you. More than that requires purchase.

posted by gimonca at 5:42 AM on November 8, 2006

Best answer: For Windows: CDBurnerXP Pro

For Mac OS X: Burn OSX

For Linux: K3b
posted by DrSkrud at 5:56 AM on November 8, 2006

burnatonce in conjunction with the (also free) ProDVDaddon for all burning operations, ifoedit for DVD Editing
posted by pu9iad at 6:09 AM on November 8, 2006

I just bought DeepBurner Pro after using DB Free very happily for a long time, and I like it a lot. I have not tried making actual video DVDs with it, though.
posted by Lyn Never at 7:50 AM on November 8, 2006

The version of Nero which is included with commercial DVD burners does a validation check to make sure that the burner it was sold with is available. If it can't find it, it tells you to buy a commercial copy.

If you can figure out how to tell it where the appropriate burner is located (drive letter, etc) it should work.

(They do that to avoid getting hammered in the "gray market".)
posted by Steven C. Den Beste at 9:11 AM on November 8, 2006

I asked a similar question not too long ago. I've got the best results using DVD Shrink (to rip & compress) and DVD Decrypter (to burn).
posted by gnutron at 10:20 AM on November 8, 2006

« Older Should I use wiki or blog software for my simple...   |   Baggage and people from American to USAir in LAX? Newer »