Suggestions for a "election process" party.

What food should one serve at a "learn how to vote" party?

A friend has two children in the "just eligible to vote" age category and would like to plan a dinner prior to election day to explain the process (and most likely, nudge them in a particular voting direction, but that's beside the point). He's planning a menu and so far, only pork comes to mind, and I thought I'd ask the hivemind for suggestions.

I searched the archives, and although a similar question was asked in 2004, it was more along the lines of "Kerry food and Bush food" - I'm looking for more general food suggestions.

Any ideas out there? TIA
posted by crepeMyrtle to Food & Drink (20 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Blueberry pie.
posted by wsg at 10:53 AM on October 30, 2006

Could have the kids make sausage.
posted by milkrate at 10:56 AM on October 30, 2006

burritos and elephant ears, clearly. if you have to go all third-party on them, you could serve greens.
posted by whatzit at 11:02 AM on October 30, 2006

Freedom fries.
posted by Kirth Gerson at 11:03 AM on October 30, 2006

pretzels
posted by DenOfSizer at 11:04 AM on October 30, 2006

American Flag cake
posted by LoriFLA at 11:12 AM on October 30, 2006

Wow, its a shame that the Bull-Moose Party isn't still around...that would be one tremendously large backyard spit that you would have to construct.
posted by mmascolino at 11:13 AM on October 30, 2006

A nice red wine or cranberry juice to represent the blood of patriots? Or tyrants, I guess.
posted by Cyrie at 11:14 AM on October 30, 2006

Congresswoman Kay Granger (R-Texas) includes some of her favorite recipes on her website, including Easy Killer Margaritas and Mexican Weenie Boil. Okay, maybe those aren't the best examples, but I can vouch for her Jalapeno Pepper Appetizers.
posted by apocry_phil at 11:34 AM on October 30, 2006

Don't know if you're in Ohio, but you could have some Reh DeWine and Sherrod Brownies.
posted by icosahedral at 11:40 AM on October 30, 2006

I suppose an elephant on a spit would be a propriate.

But actually, pizza is pretty common at these things.
posted by delmoi at 11:40 AM on October 30, 2006

Bull-Moose cook out - love it; burritos, elephant ears and greens - that sounds great (well, not gastronomically, but symbolically); not sure how I feel about "weenie boil" as the name for any recipe!
Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll forward them on :o)
posted by crepeMyrtle at 11:52 AM on October 30, 2006

A friend has two children in the "just eligible to vote" age category and would like to plan a dinner prior to election day to explain the process

Shouldn't they know the process already?

But anyway....

Chinese food-- "fat cats"

Sausage is a great idea.

Apple pie and hotdogs and hamburgers. classic American.

Jelly beans (Reagan).

Any sort of British "food", to symolize the Revolution and we were saved from British cuisine (and King George too!)

and funnel cake. Just cause it's good. and it's at fairs!
posted by Brandon Blatcher at 11:58 AM on October 30, 2006

Punch. Because, before Diebold came around to start rigging elections, we used these things called "punch cards" when we voted.

Mmmm. Punch.
posted by contessa at 12:35 PM on October 30, 2006

"Here is a pizza. It has eight slices. Your father and I will take seven slices, and leave the last one-- which you'll notice is actually the skinniest, and has no pepperoni-- for you kids to share. We don't even want all seven slices, and we're probably going to end up throwing one or two away, but we're going to take the slices anyway because we're older and we said so. Now, how do you suppose this situation may be similar to political conditions in America?"
posted by Faint of Butt at 1:16 PM on October 30, 2006 [1 favorite]

Brandon Blatcher: I am pretty sure the know the process theoretically, but they haven't actually been in the booth and pulled the lever/touched the screen/etc. And we have some constitutional amendment proposals on the ballot this year, which could require some explanation from the adults.

Faint of Butt: perfect - I'll forward your suggestion to the parents :o)
posted by crepeMyrtle at 1:50 PM on October 30, 2006

Only two dishes. Steak and hamburger. No other options.
Okay, maybe include pizza but only for show. Make sure they know they shouldn't eat it.
posted by Durin's Bane at 2:00 PM on October 30, 2006

Elephant and donkey shaped cookies?

No idea how to make it relevant, but if they're 18, pizza.
posted by dagnyscott at 4:50 PM on October 30, 2006

Feed 'em a load of crap. That is what we get from politicians of all parties.
posted by JohnnyGunn at 6:13 PM on October 30, 2006

These children are "just eligible to vote" -- in the US, that means they're just over 18. "Here is a pizza. It has eight slices" may not be exactly the tone to take. In fact, the "Here's a dinner to explain how to vote, darling; now vote as I say" attitude is a bit boggling itself.

I'd make masking-tape zones on a table, then divide M&Ms of different colors to explain the popular vs. electoral vote. You can even represent electoral votes with Mega M&Ms.
posted by booksandlibretti at 7:46 PM on October 30, 2006

« Older TV SciFi Filter - was it The Outer Limits?   |   Choking - yea or neah Newer »