What is the dome in this IBM advert?

In IBM's new television campaign ("The child called 'Open'"), little blonde boy Linux is seen sitting in a chair near, in or on a series of famous structures. I recognize the Brooklyn Bridge, and St. Mark's Square, but does anyone recognize the silver geodesic dome structure? It may be a process-shot, since the grounds look more than a little like the reflecting pools outside the Taj Mahal...
posted by JollyWanker to Media & Arts (8 answers total)

Haven't seen the commercial, but it sure sounds like Bernard Tschumi's Parc de la Villette in Paris.
posted by adamgreenfield at 6:12 PM on January 26, 2004

Haven't seen it either, but could this be your dome? More here.
posted by cbrody at 7:33 PM on January 26, 2004

here's a link to the ad (i think) but i don't see a geodesic dome (scroll down about halfway for the asf file)
posted by amberglow at 8:33 PM on January 26, 2004

You can get your little Linux boy fix here, but there ain't no geodesic domes. They do have plenty of shots of the reflecting pools outside the Taj Mahal, though...
posted by whatnotever at 9:34 PM on January 26, 2004

The Taj Mahal features in a few of the adverts, once straight on, twice in reflection. There is another dome, about half way through the linux is working ad, just before a chinese building (see ambergow's link), which I dont recognise.
posted by biffa at 2:49 AM on January 27, 2004

God, I hate those ads.
posted by msacheson at 11:36 AM on January 27, 2004

Doesn't the kid look like Eminem?
posted by msacheson at 11:37 AM on January 27, 2004

How odd - the commerical I saw is not on the page that whatnotever linked. It's most like the very first one, but the shot I'm referring to is not in it... Argh, this is going to make me crazy!
posted by JollyWanker at 1:58 PM on January 27, 2004

« Older Any suggestions for good "serial terminal"...   |   How could I go about verifying John Titor's claims... Newer »