how do i convert .mp3x files?
October 21, 2006 3:25 AM   Subscribe

how do I convert .mp3x files downloaded for free from allofmp3.com's "music for the masses" giveaway into .mp3 files i can use with my ipod?
posted by subverted to Computers & Internet (10 answers total)

I think that's the point.
posted by ajpresto at 5:58 AM on October 21, 2006

If they did a thorough enough job, you won't be able to convert them, since they are designed to run only with the supplied player. If you like the music, buy it.
posted by richardh at 6:40 AM on October 21, 2006

Total Recorder?
posted by the cuban at 7:09 AM on October 21, 2006

There are programs which are designed to record anything that comes off a sound card. Total Recorder is one (no link because it's not free), and there are others. This is a kludgy, roundabout solution, but it might be worth a shot.
posted by box at 7:09 AM on October 21, 2006

DBpoweramp does it well, if you select the source to record from as being the `Stereo Mixer'. Actually on this card they have helpfully called this `What You Hear'.

You'll be recording the tracks in realtime but it will work pretty well.
posted by tomble at 8:00 AM on October 21, 2006

Also, you already tried just changing the extension, right?
posted by box at 10:41 AM on October 21, 2006

The new format just came out, so you might have to wait a bit for someone to crack it.
posted by smackfu at 11:58 AM on October 21, 2006

Can you burn them to CD and then rip the CD to mp3? Yes, there will be a loss of quality, but...
posted by Thorzdad at 1:22 PM on October 21, 2006

There are programs which are designed to record anything that comes off a sound card. [...] This is a kludgy, roundabout solution, but it might be worth a shot.

Audacity does this, and is free.
posted by Famous at 7:40 AM on October 24, 2006

MP3XDecoder. Instructions & more info here.
posted by squalor at 11:05 AM on November 19, 2006

« Older Do you have a favorite breakfast casserole recipe?   |   my keen wah is already kleen wah Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.