Help me network in the dirty insurance world.
October 17, 2006 12:15 PM   Subscribe

InsuranceInsiderFilter: Who do I talk to at insurance companies about buying totalled Snowmobiles and ATV's?

Last winter a few friends of mine and I got together and started a little business selling used motorsports parts over Ebay. We're looking to dig deeper into it this winter, but we need a steadier stream of inventory. Do any MeFites know who inside individual insurance companies I would talk to about buying wrecked snowmobiles and ATV's? Is there a specific department which handles this or are they usually handed over to a third party broker? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
posted by SinisterPurpose to Work & Money (2 answers total)
Generally these kinds of things are sold at auction. Any claims adjuster should be able to tell you where the auctions are held. Often you need a license of some sort that serves to keep the riff raff out. For example many car salvage auctions require you to have a dealer license or auto wrecking business license to bid at the auctions.
posted by Mitheral at 12:40 PM on October 17, 2006

Here's what you need to bid on insurance salvage in Wisconsin:
License: Wisconsin BID Card
How to Apply: Call Wisconsin DMV at 608-266-1425 or click on
Wisdot forms mv2651.pdf.
Applies to: Buyers and their agents who meet Wisconsin state requirements and wish to purchase any vehicles at any of our Wisconsin locations.
Fee: In –State - $6, if dealer license expires less than one year; $12 if dealer license expires over a year; Out-of-State - $6.
Available to Non-US Based Buyers: Yes, as long as the buyer meets the Wisconsin state requirements. Annual fee is $12.

Once you get that, Insurance Auto Auctions has a branch just down the road from you in Appleton. Good luck!
posted by Floydd at 1:19 PM on October 17, 2006

« Older How does a Protestant minister handle a confession...   |   How do I color a comic to look like a comic from... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.