I need cheap t-shirts for my band...

Bands! What's the cheapest service for simple 1 color screenprinted t-shirts? How about stickers and buttons?
posted by bradn to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (11 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Make your own - it's really easy (and fun!) See if there's a craft studio in your town. Also, buttonmakers are pretty easy to operate.
posted by DenOfSizer at 9:57 AM on October 13, 2006 [1 favorite]

I second the recommendation for making your own. You can make as many as you need, you can change designs as often as you want, and people love the hand-craftedness of it. I saw one band that bought a bunch of shirts from thrift stores and did their own screenprinting, so each one was unique. Plus, it's a lot of fun to get the whole band working together with designs, ideas, paint, and clothes. It can be so much better than just sending a design to some company and getting a bunch of shirts back that are all the same.
posted by buriednexttoyou at 10:11 AM on October 13, 2006

Make your own shirts, for sure. We used to. It's cheap and easy to do...and a lot of fun!
posted by kaseijin at 10:23 AM on October 13, 2006

Sticker Guy has been making stickers forever and is really cheap.

I've also heard great things about Porkchop Screenprinting (here in Seattle) for screenprinting shirts.

Screenpriting is really fun (I do my own) but it can be pretty involved... and can cost you a fair amount of money for lights, screens, inks, chemicals, etc...
posted by mildred-pitt at 10:32 AM on October 13, 2006

For stickers and buttons my band uses stickerguy.com and Busy Beaver Button Co.. They're pretty reasonable and easy to order from, and I've had great customer service from both.
posted by krix at 10:37 AM on October 13, 2006

I'm going to eighth the suggestion for Busy Beaver.
posted by one_bean at 10:49 AM on October 13, 2006

Response by poster: Being that we hardly have time for practice, I don't think we have time to make our own anything, but thanks for the links.

Still looking for online cheap t-shirt printers.
posted by bradn at 11:31 AM on October 13, 2006

When we were shopping around for our shirts, I bookmarked VGkids.com, but didn't use them so I have no feedback. (We went with a local place instead where we got a two color design for less per shirt than what they want for 1-color). Where are you located? If it's a town of any size (or close to one), you may want to look locally. You may be able to haggle down to what you'd pay online and just the difference in time and shipping costs (you could pick them up) may make it worthwhile.
posted by krix at 11:54 AM on October 13, 2006

I would recommend Octopus Ink. They're cheap, friendly and fast!
posted by special-k at 12:30 PM on October 13, 2006

If you get the t-shirts printed first, you can trade one as credit toward buttons at arteto and get buttons pretty cheap.

(Disclosure: I am affiliated with arteto and will most likely have a hand in making your buttons.)
posted by bink at 2:59 PM on October 13, 2006

I've used VGKids for literally dozens of T-shirt and sticker jobs. Nothing but good things to say.
posted by adamkempa at 8:37 PM on October 13, 2006

« Older Permit me a small sob story   |   Where to buy server in NYC? Newer »