Where to download Frank Zappa via a subscription service?
October 7, 2006 4:25 PM   Subscribe

I would like to download Frank Zappa albums via a subscription service that has downloads available in mp3 or ogg. Is there such a service?

I subscribed to emusic.com last month because they appeared to be the only subscription service offering Frank Zappa albums for download. I downloaded upto my limit, and this month found that they no longer offer Frank Zappa because according to an email I received from them:
"Frank Zappa's albums were available on eMusic via our
previous relationship with the Rykodisc label. Rykodisc was
recently purchased by a major record label (Warner Music
Group) that has decided not to continue its relationship with
eMusic. As a result, we're unable to offer their catalogue at
this time."

napster, audiogalaxy do no offer them. I want a service that offers downloads in mp3 unlike audible's goofy format that's tied to specific devices.

I am very unfamiliar with music subscription services other than the ones mentioned.
posted by bkpr to Media & Arts (6 answers total)

Out of country potential law breaking shadiness notwithstanding, all of mp3 seems to have some zappa.

iTunes, eMusic and Napster are basically the only 3 services out there with the exception of Rhapsody. None of the above give you DRM free music in addition to having a "full" library....
posted by twiggy at 4:37 PM on October 7, 2006

He's been removed from listening to on Rhapsody as well.
posted by spacelux at 10:15 PM on October 7, 2006

Napster? Are you kidding? Try Soulseek. I've heard a lot of good things about allofMP3.com, and, surprisingly, no bad stories.
posted by Mr. Gunn at 10:43 PM on October 7, 2006

Allofmp3 may be going away soon, it's one of the major reasons that Russia can't get into the WTO...
posted by delmoi at 3:52 AM on October 8, 2006

All Zappa's work was removed recently from iTunes as well.

I don't believe there is a subscription service with Zappa on it.

For me, my years-long Zappa habit has been filled with CDs.
posted by artlung at 1:45 PM on October 8, 2006

Response by poster: Thanks everyone, I guess I'll buy some CDs. I am trying to eliminate physical clutter, and thus avoid CDs. But amazon has some CDs available used that I will try.
posted by bkpr at 3:18 PM on October 8, 2006

« Older TV as Monitor?   |   mini jack output selector Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.