Could the US be expelled from NATO...

Could the United States be expelled from NATO for refusing to abide by the Geneva Conventions?
posted by putzface_dickman to Law & Government (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Technically? Yes.

Realistically and politically speaking? No.

We can dream, though.
posted by Schlimmbesserung at 10:05 AM on October 3, 2006

The North Atlantic Treaty. I may be missing it, but I don't see any way to expel a country at all. Which means if you're in NATO and don't want to defend the US, you have to drop out of NATO.
posted by smackfu at 10:11 AM on October 3, 2006

I stand corrected. Damn.
posted by Schlimmbesserung at 10:15 AM on October 3, 2006

Sure, effectively.

(1) Everybody else drops out of NATO.
(2) They form NATO 2: Electric Boogaloo, which has exactly the same provisions.
(3) They don't invite the US to join N2:EB.

They could do this for any reason or no reason at all.

But they're unlikely to want to start paying for all of the cost of their defense out of a fit of moral pique.
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 10:52 AM on October 3, 2006 [1 favorite]

paying for all of the cost of their defense

Just who are we supposed to be defending ourselves from? Frankly, the way the US is going, with gerry mandered elections and god-bothering politicos poising their tremulous fingers over a large red button, we're more afraid that the Alliance will blow up in an armageddon of 'friendly fire' [gotta love the newspeak - incompetence respun as accident] than that we'll be devoured by the russian bear.

If the troops were pulled out of the UK, we'd be safer and richer.
Bugger off! I say - and get your tanks off my cricket pitch.
posted by dash_slot- at 12:18 PM on October 3, 2006

If NATO wouldn't expel Turkey during the worst of its state terror against the Kurds, then it's unlilkely to expel the U.S., which provides the bulk of the logistics.
posted by meehawl at 12:28 PM on October 3, 2006

(1) Everybody else drops out of NATO.
(3) They don't invite the US to join N2:EB.(1) Everybody else drops out of NATO.

This is how I refer to the UN - "League of Nations 2: Electric Boogaloo".
posted by spaceman_spiff at 12:43 PM on October 3, 2006

6. Euopeans are likely very happy that we "disappear" terror suspects and send them off for torture and indefinite confinement. For reasons of national pride and sovereignty, they have to complain. Privately, they are happy.

Tosser or troll? I just can't decide.

I guess this ain't the place to work it out.
posted by dash_slot- at 12:50 PM on October 3, 2006

Just who are we supposed to be defending ourselves from?

Don't look at me. I'd be happy to pull the US out of Europe, and Japan, and Korea, and all them places.
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 1:19 PM on October 3, 2006

b1tr0t's arguments are well thought-out, sensible and backed with immense evidence.

I look forward to meeting with him in order to follow up on his offer to sell me a bridge.
posted by oxford blue at 4:54 PM on October 3, 2006 [1 favorite]

As far as I can tell America is abiding by the Genova Convention.

To be protected by Genova Conventions a soldier must meet the following criteria:
1. He wears a milatary uniform.
2. He serves under an officer commissioned by a government that has signed a treaty recoginizing the Genova Conventions.

If a person breaks either of these conditions, then there is no requirement to treat him according to the Genova Conventions.

A person comming violence out of military uniform and not under the orders of a commissioned officer is an illegal combatant.

Al-Qaeda are not the soldiers of an army of any nation. They are stateless terrorists; the Genova Convention allows us to treat them however the hell we want.
posted by Axandor at 7:00 PM on October 3, 2006

« Older Renting property for a cell phone tower?   |   Support through tough times Newer »