Best DVD/VCR recorder

What is the best VCR/DVD recorder which will permit do the following: 1. Able to edit and delete chapter markers after recording on the DVD. 2. Excellent image quality in transferring from VHS to DVD. 3. Precise editing accuracy
posted by quintno to Technology (2 answers total)

I don't think such a thing exists. To do those things, you attach a DVD burner to a computer, and master your video on the computer before burning it to DVD.

For instance, your #1: not possible. Once the DVD is burned, it's burned. There's no way to change it.

Your #2, also not possible even with a computer. VHS is a lousy format, and you can't put back what the tape has lost.
posted by Steven C. Den Beste at 8:13 AM on October 3, 2006

There are a bunch of DVD recorders on the market now that record to a hard drive, permitting the basic editing, chapter marks, essentially lots of work. Sorta PVRish.

Then it's "finalized" and recorded to a DVD. You can have the MPEG2 file hang out on the system, until you stop by and edit/make changes.

It's up to you if you find this easier than capturing, authoring, output.
posted by filmgeek at 11:12 AM on October 3, 2006

« Older How to schedule my time as a freelance writer?   |   I need some charming / funny examples of mistakes... Newer »