Broken eyeglasses repair?

Eyeglass repair. I broke a friend's (expensive) eyeglasses right at the temple, and it's not a repair that just anybody can do. The manufacturer told me to screw myself, and google searches, though they produce many mom-and-pop repair shops, are relatively fruitless. Are there any big, high-quality, national firms that I can trust with this repair?
posted by trharlan to Grab Bag (13 answers total)

how did they break? .... the little screw in the frame pull out and strip the threads?
posted by specialk420 at 12:17 AM on January 19, 2004

Nope. The temples have little extensions, shaped like this --OO-- rather than the simpler -OO-. I broke off the long thing that I would call an earpiece, and unfortunately, it took most of the temple with it.

My hunch is that they will need to be bonded rather than brazed.
posted by trharlan at 12:43 AM on January 19, 2004

oh. ouch.

how much is your time worth?
posted by specialk420 at 1:05 AM on January 19, 2004

Maybe a long shot, but you could look and see if there are any good bespoke jewelers (or similar metal craters) in your area and then take it by them for opinions.
posted by rudyfink at 5:06 AM on January 19, 2004

trharlan, if there is a Lenscrafters in your area, check them out. Most often, there is someone who works there that would know how to fix this, often for free or a minimal price.
posted by jasonspaceman at 5:08 AM on January 19, 2004

As a last resort you could purchase another frame that can hold the same lenses without any cutting if possible.
posted by riffola at 6:40 AM on January 19, 2004

Find a reputable OPTICIAN who has been practicing for many years. A good optician can work wonders with any frames/lenses.
posted by davidmsc at 7:22 AM on January 19, 2004

Pick one of those mom and pop shops. As a rule, megacorporations will find a way to screw up -- though they have been very useful for quick drop-in repairs such as missing nose pads or lost screws -- whereas the chances that some little optician has exactly the right part sitting in a drawer somewhere are pretty good.
posted by majick at 8:12 AM on January 19, 2004

I second the jeweler. They're adept at micro-brazing and the like.
posted by five fresh fish at 9:11 AM on January 19, 2004

I third the jeweler. I recently broke a pair of eyeglasses at the bridge, and a jeweler did a great job bonding the pieces back together--you'd never know they were damaged.
posted by Prospero at 11:37 AM on January 19, 2004

> The manufacturer told me to screw myself

and who would this be? (for future reference)
posted by o2b at 4:10 PM on January 19, 2004

I fourth the jeweler.

Or, if you're "handy" like me, find out the proper type of solder to use for eyeglass frames (high strength, I know that) and solder them yourself. Remove lenses first and flux is a must, I'd say. Use a soldering iron. Steady now......

I've fixed my eyeglasses' frame about a dozen times with the wrong kind of solder. It holds for a while and then lets go at inappropriate times, such as minutes before my wife and I hop in a car to visit her mother.

The frame comes apart, and the plastic lens falls to the floor and ricochets under the refrigerator. Then, my wife glowers at me and begins to lecture about how I need new glasses.
posted by troutfishing at 9:31 PM on January 19, 2004

The manufacturer who told me to screw myself was Ralph Lauren. $400 glasses, no help.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
posted by trharlan at 9:17 AM on January 20, 2004

« Older Which Democratic candidate should Europeans root...   |   Almond Butter Newer »