I'm looking for a source for "alternative" cubicle walls.
September 26, 2006 4:51 AM   Subscribe

I'm looking for a source for "alternative" cubicle walls.

I need to partition off part of a large room for an office, but I don't want the "classic" corporate cubicle. I was thinking of some sort of semi-opaque material to let light through but still maintain some privacy. Any pointers to pre-fabricated sources appreciated (as are alternative ideas)
posted by jeremias to Work & Money (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
There is this from IKEA (I know, I know). It comes in a bigger size as well. Find it in the pull down menu. There are also panels you can get to close off one side of the shelf although I don't see them on the website. Or if you are handy you could attach you own custom backing that you can assemble from common hardware store products.

Oh, then there is this...Cubits, which can be totally custom configured. They are semi opaque in various colors. I know they are both shelves but they will do what you want if you have the space.
posted by chillmost at 5:35 AM on September 26, 2006

Book shelves are an excellent solution or you can use many other things for room dividers. Apartment Therapy gives some really cool idea on their page.
posted by JJ86 at 5:54 AM on September 26, 2006

I don't know if this will be of much help, but I'm picturing something Japanesque, with rice shoji screens and the like. I know they make a more durable material that has the look and translucent properties of rice paper as well.
posted by bristolcat at 6:30 AM on September 26, 2006

Here is the stronger rice paper material I just spoke of. I like the looks of the room dividers on that site. There are some straight "wall" like ones, too. Spendy but gorgeous!
posted by bristolcat at 6:34 AM on September 26, 2006

Fog Creek software uses frosted acrylic sheets mounted directly to steel studs (the architect has more pictures (Flash): click "commercial" then "fog creek software") I don't know of a good source for this product.

There are also "multi-wall" products (polycarbonate panel about 10mm thick, with a sort of cellular cross-section). Duo-Gard's product looks a little less plastic-y to me than others, but it is hard to explain. All the manufacturers will be happy to send you samples so that you can get the look you want.
posted by misterbrandt at 7:28 AM on September 26, 2006

My dentist has frosted glass panels seperating her 5 work stations. The supports have been bolted to the floor but I'm sure a free standing structure could be devised with the help of a speciality or comercial glass place.

One bonus is if you put the frosted surface away from you you can write on the smooth side just like a white board.

Glass brick also make an awesome, if expensive and permanent, divider.
posted by Mitheral at 7:38 AM on September 26, 2006

I like the translucent glass/shoji screen idea. Maybe drill holes in in several translucent or frosted glass panes and hang them with invisible wire?
posted by mochapickle at 8:20 AM on September 26, 2006

Seconded on Fog Creek. I love that layout and desperately want to work there.

Sadly, my ATL/COM/Wasabi knowledge is not up to par.
posted by Imperfect at 10:58 AM on September 26, 2006

« Older A Marzipan broke my iPod Mini   |   Firefox will not load a single site on my computer... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.