Anti-Semitic slur. Now what?

How to complain or spread the word about a prominent roofing contractor who used an anti-Semetic slur while on the phone with me?

I'm filled with rage. A local roofing contractor who does quite a bit of business here in Utah gave me a bid a few weeks ago, which was 14-19% higher than an estimate given last year. He mentioned that his prices have gone up with oil prices because of the high petroleum content in the roofing material. He also said that the repairs needed by Hurricanes Katrina and Wilma have threw supply and demand out of whack as they relate to shingle prices. He told me his margins have remained constant through all of these material price increases.

I told him that I would have bought the roof last year but some medical emergencies affected my ability to pay cash for the roof.

I then asked, as ANYONE (regardless of religion) would do, if he was able to 'do anything with the price' considering the dramatic increase. I wanted to know if we had any room to work on the price.

He then jokingly asked "What, are you trying to Jew me down?" as soon as I hinted at interest/negotiation.

I politely let him know that I am Jewish, did NOT find this very funny, and that the phone call was over.

I'm not done. I'm enraged over this. I'm really bothered by this, to the point of where I would write a letter to someone or raise some awareness of this company for what this person said.

Sooooo, hive, where can I take my frustration? Are there any advocacy groups that I can file a complaint with? Is this a BBB thing? Please help me get through this.
posted by neilkod to Human Relations (50 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You have done what you can. The guy probably figured it was harmless figure of speech, now he knows it is offensive to some people and that it can lose him business. You're done.
posted by LarryC at 3:19 PM on September 14, 2006

There are lots of ways you can complain about a business. Maybe you can call the BBB (I have no idea if they record these sorts of complaints). You can post about it online with the sorts of details that come up when people do a google search. You can write a letter to the editor. Etc.
posted by joannemerriam at 3:35 PM on September 14, 2006

You want vengeance or do you want to make the world better?

For revenge, you could hit up whatever community blogs. If you're lucky - as it were - it'll catch people's eyes and get sent about enough to get his name associated with racism, potentially seriously harming his business.

If you want to make the world better, send him a brief and polite letter saying that regardless of how harmless he thinks it is, that's an offensive turn of phrase and it's enough to insure you'll never do business with him. Then stick to it.

Maybe he's just a bit boorish and never considered the sting of that phrase and this'll educate him a bit. More likely he's boorish and this'll make him realize that regardless of what he thinks that he should keep his mouth shut with that kind of thing lest it cost him money.

Personally I think turning someone like that into a public whipping boy does more harm than good. It certainly doesn't reinforce any positive racial expectations the guy has and I'd rather have apathetic non-combatants in the culture war than enemies.
posted by phearlez at 3:36 PM on September 14, 2006

LarryC has a good point. As rightfully offensive as the figure of speech the contractor used is, he's probably been using it since he learned it from his dad as a kid and does not attach any real anti-Semitic feeling to it. I've worked blue collar summer jobs (masonry, landscaping, driving a bobcat) for the past few years, and the use of derogatory terms without any real hate or even endearingly takes a little getting used to for anyone raised to be PC. Of course, some people really are huge bigots, but extrapolating from just this one interaction, I would give the contractor the benefit of the doubt.
posted by Derive the Hamiltonian of... at 3:37 PM on September 14, 2006

This is someone in Utah--not a state known for having a large Jewish population. This is a contractor, not a white collar person who would likely to have studied history (the basis for the expression "to jew"--Jews being said to be unfair moneylenders) in depth or had long foofy discussions about sociopolitical roots and effects of language and blah blah blah. It may very well be an abstract expression to him.

I think it's only fair to discuss it with him (if you still suspect he has not received the message that it is an offensive term) rather than trying to give him negative publicity for it.
posted by needs more cowbell at 3:41 PM on September 14, 2006

You need to just suck it up and deal with it like an adult. Period. Toughen up!

Sure his comment was wrong, but he is entitled to it.

Being overly PC for everyone went out of style in the 90's.
posted by Slenny at 3:43 PM on September 14, 2006

You could post to Angie's List.

I guess being rude has replaced PC Slenny?
posted by edgeways at 3:47 PM on September 14, 2006

I think you have done what you should, tried to educate him.
As for going beyond this that is kind of thought police territory, it was dumb of him and hopefully he will learn. Don't try to make him responsible for the sins of the world, he may be a nice guy who just does not know better.
posted by Iron Rat at 3:54 PM on September 14, 2006

Chances are, while the comment may appear to be anti-semitic, the man himself probably isn't.

He's probably just an idiot.
posted by Merdryn at 3:55 PM on September 14, 2006

I unfortunately agree with the repeated sentiment that he didn't really know what he was saying. I wouldn't give him business, and if others asked for a recommendation I wouldn't recommend him, but that's as far as I'd bother taking it.

On a related note, have you ever heard/used the expression "someone gypped me"? Until I (relatively recently) learned on metafilter, that's a slur on gypsies. I used to use it, and just never knew...
posted by inigo2 at 3:56 PM on September 14, 2006

fixedgear, come on. I'm not enraged about the price increase-I understand supply and demand. I also understand costs and inflation. I'm sure that the guy is not running a not-for-profit organization. As a consumer doing due diligence, I wanted to hear reasoning behind a 14-19% increase in less than a year's time.

What bothered me was his comment. I'm not an overly PC person by any means, but this is coming from the owner of a business. A business that has a bunch of corporate accounts and trucks bearing the business' logo.

So far, my favorite suggestion was from phearlez which was to write and let him know that at the least it cost him my business and has encouraged me to go out of my way to dissuade others from using him. And just for fun I may cc: The Deseret News and the Salt Lake Tribune.
posted by neilkod at 3:56 PM on September 14, 2006

The guy probably figured it was harmless figure of speech

Indeed we Welsh on a bet (slur against Welsh people)

We Gyp people (slur against Roma)

I doubt we never considered the origin of these words.
I doubt it ever occured to him that to Jew down may be a slur any more than it occurs to any of us when we say 'he Gypped me.'

Doesn't mean you have to silently take it but it could be an opportunity to enlighten someone - especially since Utah is not exactly Long Island in terms of Jew density.
posted by xetere at 4:00 PM on September 14, 2006

Another vote for ignorance over malice. You should have asked him whether he was aware of the expression's connotation, and whether he intended that connotation.
posted by goodnewsfortheinsane at 4:01 PM on September 14, 2006

And just for fun I may cc: The Deseret News and the Salt Lake Tribune.

I agree with others here that it was probably more ignorance than anything else. This "for fun" part sounds a bit malicious to me.
posted by vacapinta at 4:06 PM on September 14, 2006

Lighten up on this. I vote for the ignorance theory. This wasn't Mel, cut him some slack and carefully explain your position in an effort to educate him.
posted by HuronBob at 4:11 PM on September 14, 2006

unfortunately, it is a verb out here. an understated surprised reaction will go further than an outraged all out attack.
posted by vega5960 at 4:13 PM on September 14, 2006 [1 favorite]

That's not the norm, no.

I indeed also find the comment rude. And then the correct action is to tell the offender that you find such language offensive and that you will be taking your business elsewhere.

But, what kind of person then asks an Internet community how the best way to damage the guys business reputation is? One could also find that rude. Buts it is really the same thing, people just being people, not intending offense.
posted by Slenny at 4:14 PM on September 14, 2006

I think a polite note explaining why you won't be working with him could have an enlightening effect.

Telling the press that you think the guy is a racist might well have the opposite effect (i.e. hardening his resistance to what you are saying).

It's about responding at the same level rather than escalating. His offense took place between the two of you, so that's where the correction should take place.

Only if he had done something that had an effect in the public sphere (i.e. he told you he would not work with Jews) should the correction be public.
posted by ottereroticist at 4:20 PM on September 14, 2006

Sure, because nothing will teach this guy not to hate Jews like his name being dragged through the mud by one.

I've found that this sort of thing is best dealt with in kind. This guy is a contractor -- you realize that there are far more malicious ways he could have made your life miserable, if he were some kind of horrible anti-semite, right? Instead, all he did was made a casual slur. You already told him that the slur was hurtful, and you already withdrew your business from him, so you've already made a response in kind. Why are you looking to escalate the confrontation so far beyond the level of the initial affront? That's just going to make you a real enemy, as opposed to a maybe-enemy.

Let it go.
posted by vorfeed at 4:21 PM on September 14, 2006

Right, let it go. Not worth your time.
posted by MarshallPoe at 4:27 PM on September 14, 2006

When I was in primary school, we used to have a schoolyard routine which would go like this - someone would yell "Jew Jump - (item name, maybe a coin or collectable cards or similar)", a crowd would gather, and the person would toss the item into the crowd. Whoever grabbed it first owned it.

25 years later, while thinking back on my early school days I suddenly, and with quite a shock, realised what it meant. We had used it often, if we wrote about it we wrote "jou jump", nobody had any idea what it meant at the time. It was just a word.

I agree that he used it in a similar way, in ignorance rather than anti-semitic malice. I would wager nobody has confronted him about it before.
posted by tomble at 4:42 PM on September 14, 2006

Let it go. Being an east coast resident who then moved to a rural area for an extended period of time, I encountered plenty of people who would unintentionally use mildly anti-semitic expressions (ie "he jewed me down" "i've got a jew bankroll today") as a matter of course. In nearly all the cases, it wasn't racism. It was just sheer, simple dumbassedness.

And I hate to tell ya man, but Utah is full of dumbasses.

That's all this New York Jew has to say.
posted by huskerdont at 4:44 PM on September 14, 2006

Pay him what he quoted you last summer and then tell him you will give the rest as a donation in his name to support the refugees of Darfur as a lesson for him to understand how a harmless slur can, over time, escalate into genocide.
posted by any major dude at 4:56 PM on September 14, 2006

I'm filled with rage.

Let it go. The world is an offensive place...
posted by wfrgms at 5:14 PM on September 14, 2006

used an anti-Semetic slur

I thought your "more inside" was going to say that, in the heat of a disagreement, he called you a kike. That would be something to be enraged about.

This is nothing. Simple ignorance. Don't give him your business, and make sure you advise any friends, family or coworkers against his services if they are looking. That's the best you can do.

Also, please get some perspective and stop brandying about terms like anti-Semetic. Your usage cheapens the impact.
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 5:37 PM on September 14, 2006

I agree with Civil_Disobedient. Also, it's anti-Semitic.
posted by languagehat at 5:40 PM on September 14, 2006

Seriously, let it go. I've heard of my parents generation -- good ones, sometimes -- who are now in their 60's and older blithely use that very phrase literally thousands of times over the years, even though I knew even when I was a kid that it just wasn't a right thing to do. That you haven't heard it as often, it would seem, is an indication that polite society is gaining some ground, at least in matters like this. Is it thoughtless, distasteful, stereotype-mongering, dumb? Sure. But it's not worth being 'filled with rage' about, for goodness sakes.

If you feel you must, go and tell the guy calmly why you were offended (and do it face to face), and make a judgement based on his response whether to continue patronizing his business or not. If not, tell him so and tell him why, and move on, realizing that the world is chock full of people best avoided, and that it is advisable to do exactly that. Perhaps your response will make him rethink his derogatory idiom in future.

Of course the first step to doing that is to think about exactly why you were offended. Was it the joke itself (you characterized it as a joke (and if he knew you were jewish, I can see how it could well have been, even if he was assuming too much about your equanimity in the face of such things, clearly)), the thoughtlessness, the stereotyping, the fact that he didn't recognize that you are jewish, the possibility that he did and made the comment anyway (and the followon possibilities that he was either doing it deliberately or let his true colours slip by accident, or was, as you suggest, joking in a presumptuous way), the possibility that he talks like this all the time, the slurring of your ethnicity (if that's what you perceive it to be), or some combination of the above?

I dunno. When people make comments about Canadians being beer-drunks, for example, or, here in Korea, white people smelling bad (or being sexmad or bignosed or stupid or any of the hundred others I hear daily offered as jokes or in all seriousness), my response is to pity their ignorance, not become enraged. It's much better for one's health.
posted by stavrosthewonderchicken at 5:41 PM on September 14, 2006 [1 favorite]

Yeah, what C_D and most of the others have said. Seriously, let it go. Don't let it eat you up - it's hurting you far more than it is him.
posted by blag at 5:48 PM on September 14, 2006

A lot of people are saying "let it go", but of course that's easier said than done. When you're mad, you're mad.

Perhaps by telling yourself that the contractor is an ignorant jerk who's lived a sad, insulated life you'll feel a little better about it. After all, aren't you a better person than him?

If you really can't let it go, and do end up doing something about it (like writing a letter), I encourage you to think of it more as an opportunity to enlighten rather than to seek revenge.

I also had an experience similar to tomble, where in elementary school many offensive things were said out of ignorance, not hate. Perhaps this is another one of those times.
posted by IvyMike at 5:54 PM on September 14, 2006

I am Jewish myself by birth - I am far from practicing and don't really conform to any of the stereotypes that one might associate with Jews.

However my name is quite obviously Jewish in origin.

Even still there have been times I have been abused, and a lot more overtly than 'jewing people' on prices (Holocaust references at the like).

So far you have done the right thing. You voiced your offence and he lost your business as a result. But dude there is a lot worse anti-semitism out there often resulting in violence, vandalism, hatred and intimidation. I think we should focus our activist energy, and the resources of advocacy groups, on stopping this extremist anti-semitism, than on admonishing some doddering old fool who probably doesnt even realise what he said.
posted by TheOtherGuy at 6:02 PM on September 14, 2006

IMO, and that's all that can I can give on such a question, you are overreacting. There are words that in some subcultures have entered such common parlance as to be not even considered offensive in 99.9% of circumstances.

'Jew'ing someone is just such a word, and it's near equivalent 'gyp'ing someone. It's not nice, but it's not a really intentional slur.

Further, if I called a Jew a Jew, as a statement of fact, I doubt there would be taken offense. This is not the same as calling a black person a nigger, a chinese person a chink, or a mexican a wetback. If this is what you ran up against I'd suggest takin this to a much higher level.
posted by Kickstart70 at 6:27 PM on September 14, 2006

I'd just like to add that you are completely justified in your rage. What he said is terribly disrespectful, offensive and hurtful, whether he meant it like that or not. I'm really sorry that you had to hear that and had to deal with an ignorant and possibly assholey person.

I agree that you may need to let it go other than writing him a letter. I wanted to validate that you are right in your anger, but remember that hanging onto it and seeking vengeance will only hurt you, not him. Do what you can to turn your anger into something positive-- donate a few bucks to a Jewish education fund or Jewish medical center, just to make yourself feel better and turn a negative into a positive.
posted by orangemiles at 6:36 PM on September 14, 2006

I agree it's a slur but you need to let it go. I doubt a bunch of Utah Mormons are going to care and if you take it further they are going to think YOU are an idiot for blowing it out of proportion. Not saying they'd be right, just saying that's what they would think. It isn't worth it.

And I also agree with the rest here that are saying there are a ton of folks out there that have not a clue that the phrase is offensive. If you are in an area with a limited Jewish presence I can almost guarantee that they won't even have a clue about present antisemitism.

OH, and the OT says that it's to a man's honor to overlook an insult. Solomon had something there.
posted by konolia at 6:37 PM on September 14, 2006

Are you absolutely certain he said Jew? I've heard the term "chewing" someone down on the price before. It does sound awfully similar, and is probably inappropriate for that reason alone, but perhaps that's what he said.
posted by deadmessenger at 6:49 PM on September 14, 2006

Welcome to the real world, now grow up and deal with it. You are taking this way too far.
posted by Loto at 7:00 PM on September 14, 2006

It surprises me that the Anti-Defamation League hasn't been mentioned yet.

I disagree with the prior posters who think this isn't a big deal, but I do agree that the right response for your frustration is going to be a constructive one. The ADL's website offers a lot of constructive ways to get involved.
posted by ikkyu2 at 7:02 PM on September 14, 2006 [1 favorite]

ok I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm calming down.

deadmessenger, I'm 100% sure he said Jew. In fact what bothered me is he had this wink-wink tone with me when he said it.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that he wasn't anything more than ignorant/stupid at best.

I'm sure that I've already taken the best action and that was to let him know that the conversation, as well as my business is over.

Again, I'm going with the consensus and taking the guy for being an idiot.
posted by neilkod at 7:24 PM on September 14, 2006 [1 favorite]

I have a slightly unique perspective on this... My last name is "Jewett", though I don't have a speck of the heritage in me.

When your ears are acutely aware of a word, because it's your last name, you pick up on it all the time. I've heard the term used seldom, but most often the speakers don't realize that the term is negative. When I hear it, I feign outrage (ehh... I don't get upset over much, feigning outrage is as far as I go), and point out my last name, then, rather than back-peddling (imagine a skinny white guy saying the word "nigger" as a large black man rounds the corner) or apologizing, the tend to continue on with the conversation. I point out that the word has a negative connotation, regardless of how the offender wishes "he could be as monetarily smart as the jews".

So yeah, I'd chalk it up to someone who may not realize the full offensiveness of the word... It's used more often as "to get the best deal" than the historical "to cheat out of property" because of this.

I'd point out that it's offensive, but I don't think it's anything to get in a tizzy over. Call him up, inform him that while you won't do business with him, you thought it would be best that he understand that it's for the one specific slur, maybe he can avoid future lost customers...
posted by hatsix at 8:11 PM on September 14, 2006

I knew a couple of folks in college from mostly-rural, mostly religious states who'd never met anybody Jewish until then, and probably didn't even have any relatives who'd met anybody Jewish. He may well have been surprised to even hear that "Jew" was considered offensive, if he's never been exposed to the idea or the people before.
posted by croutonsupafreak at 8:23 PM on September 14, 2006

You could always take it to Consumerist...
posted by IndigoRain at 8:51 PM on September 14, 2006

I'm 100% sure he said Jew. In fact what bothered me is he had this wink-wink tone with me when he said it.

This is stupid, but...what if he's Jewish himself and meant it as some kind of in-joke? Even if you don't recognize his surname, his mother could've been Jewish. I mean, it's a small chance, but it could be a misunderstanding instead of idiocy or malice on his part.
posted by booksandlibretti at 9:46 PM on September 14, 2006

I think this was an extremely poor choice of words on the contractor's part. If he didn't apologize when you told him it was inappropriate, then you've done all you need to do.

You voted with your wallet and have decided not to give him a rather large chunk of money. When a friend asks you who they should hire to fix their roof, say "Well ABC company is great, but I had bad dealings with Adolf's Home Repair."

Don't call the paper, don't bother with an angry letter. If he is anti-semitic, you're not going to win him over that way, you're just gonna add fuel to his fire. If he made a horrible mistake, then you've basically ruined a man's life and livelihood because of it.
posted by aristan at 11:19 PM on September 14, 2006

Since he said it in a "wink wink" sorta tone, it sounds pretty likely that he didn't realize that you were Jewish. If he had said "Typical Jew, trying to haggle down the price" I could see being more offended, but I see this as a common-parlance issue. The same way I often catch myself saying "that's so gay" or "you're a retard", this dude has never previously had any reason to presume that it would offend anybody. As they say, never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Oh, and nobody is sure that "gyp" is a slur towards gypsies/Roma. It's the probable origin, but direct evidence is hard to find.
posted by antifuse at 3:11 AM on September 15, 2006

Believe it or not, many reasonable folks do not consider "jew down" to be an anti-Semetic slur. I had my sister in tears because she once used the phrase -- to her, she was simply using a common expression that was no different than referring to a particular instrument one plucks upon against the jaw. To say the least I do not agree.

For your contractor, his price increase and explanation is reasonable. You can choose not to do business with him and the choice is solely yours.

I choose not to levy similar measures against all subcontractors and suppliers with whom I've worked. I think showing people kindness and subtly changing language without being preachy -- asking questions or repeating in inoffensive ways -- is a better way to do business. (E.g. rephrase his comment to "No, I am not trying to renegotiate a lower price" or "I am not familiar with that phrase. It sounds racist. What does it mean?")

That said, I once came down hard on an employee for judging all of Japanese culture as stupid and backwards because of the way their hand saws are used (cuts on the pull stroke and, traditionally, used while kneeling).
posted by Dick Paris at 3:47 AM on September 15, 2006

I am justifying this to myself as being on-topic since this is a "how do I react to this slight" question, perhaps jess or matt will disagree and send this comment out to the digital cornfield.

However - of course it's easier said than done. We're emotional creatures. It's what makes us interesting. We have emotional reactions to things which may or may not be in proportion to the situation at hand, we have people react to us in ways that seem completely amazing to us because of their own emotional reactions. It feels like I have a conversation with my fellow geeks on a weekly basis about how we have to cope with other people's "irrational" reactions and why can't they just be reasonable?

That's not an excuse for never going beyond being a five year old, however. Not all impulses and instincts need to be listened to. Hopefully we move past hitting someone every time they make us angry or throwing things that frustrate us. When we're confronted with jackassery like what neilkod describes we have a choice - do we respond purely to the slight to ourselves, lash out and try to repay pain with pain, or do we measure our reactions and consider the source, motivation and how to prevent it in the future?

Part of that is considering the source - there's no point in trying to improve a pig's singing voice. Another part is considering the cost to us. I'm not going to get into a protracted discussion about racial sensitivity with a criminal who's got a gun drawn on my temple at the moment. After that there's the matter of what I can simply stomach, and it's not unreasonable to say that you just can't stand to be around a cluster of sheet-wearing jerkweeds marching down the street in order to hold up a placard that says "WE ARE ALL HUMAN REGARDLESS OF COLOR." Finally, since we are all emotional creatures we have to remember that our actions will be perceived by the people we deal with emotionally as well, and in this case we want that emotional to be increased empathy and sensitivity, not anger and solidified hatred.

The politicians all talk about the importance of capturing the middle undecided vote, and I think in matters such as these it's equally important to all of us who want to see a more understanding world that we recruit the fence-sitters rather than alienating them. Perhaps it's arrogant for this goyim to say it, but I'd contend it would be a mitzvah to overlook the anger of a personal slight if you could bring that person around to an understanding so that they didn't hurt others in the past.

Or said with less diarrhea of the keyboard, I simply do not believe we can bring about empathy and understanding by wielding a club.
posted by phearlez at 10:31 AM on September 15, 2006

Hurt others IN THE FUTURE of course, not the past. *sigh* It's the loose nut between the keyboard and the chair that is so often the broken part on my computer...
posted by phearlez at 10:32 AM on September 15, 2006

1. Let it go. Not because it's a big deal, but because you may have fixed it. (See below.)
2. It's racism.

Or at least bigotry, which is a term that's lately gone out of style -- but is far more accurate, since it means Archie-Bunker-style low-simmer, ignorance/stupidity-based, possibly re-educatable racism. (There's your PC-overload, btw -- the removal of nuance when it comes to stuff like this. Don't get me started on "gay" and "retard" -- perfectly good words that have separate, distinct, and non-derivative meanings from their alternate definitions demarcating large groups of lovely people.) To "Jew someone down" is old-school bigotspeak, somewhere just south of "Nigger" and north of "Wop."

They have cable TV in Utah, and no one on TV uses the term. Same with "Indian-Giver." Ergo, the guy's a douche, and assumed he was among friends, since a Jew in Utah is a yeti-like improbability -- or at least it was a couple decades ago, when this guy probably learned the term. This happens every day, and people tend to let it slide -- but it takes balls to call someone on it, and sometimes that's all it takes to get the person to never do it again. Again -- that's the diff between bigotry and racism. One's born of ignorance and laziness, the other's more deep-seated. (Whereas people still say "gypped" every day, pretty much everywhere. If there were a bigger or more politically active Roma population in the US, I suspect things would be different.)
posted by turducken at 11:10 AM on September 15, 2006

This is stupid, but...what if he's Jewish himself and meant it as some kind of in-joke?...

booksandlibretti, a Jew wouldn't use the phrase since it demeans Jews.
posted by mirileh at 11:38 AM on September 15, 2006

Then what about the reclaiming of "nigger" and "bitch"? And what about the Borat schtick? If there's one thing the Jews are good at it's self-deprecation.
posted by goodnewsfortheinsane at 11:42 AM on September 15, 2006

Thanks, mirileh, after a couple pages of comments I caught on that it wouldn't be a real nice thing to say. :/

I guess I was unclear, but I thought there was "a small chance that it might be some kind of in-joke" -- the way it is when the Irish part of my family jokes about alcohol or the paddy wagon. Of course, a Jewish guy saying that to a Jewish stranger would still be ill-advised as hell, but I was hoping the guy had bad judgment rather than total ignorance or malice.
posted by booksandlibretti at 11:47 AM on September 15, 2006

« Older Take a tour across Italy or stay in Rome?   |   Film in the refrigerator, I know, I know it's... Newer »