Dropped Connection

SquirrelMail from DreamHost keeps dropping my connection.

It's really annoying. When I check my webmail on my DreamHost website, the SquirrelMail interface keeps dropping the connection.

The error I receive is:

ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
Query: COPY 4155,4157,4184:4185,4187,4201,4210 "INBOX.Trash"

I am somewhat of a techno-idiot so I have no clue what that means.

For what it's worth, this happens everywhere I've checked my email - at work, home, my parents' house, my brother's apartment, my friend's restaurant.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening? Am I doing something to cause this?
posted by Not in my backyard to Computers & Internet (11 answers total)

Why don't you call or email their tech support?

I know they've been having issues with webmail a few weeks ago.

Does email work through a client?
posted by mphuie at 4:04 PM on September 8, 2006

Yeah, you should contact Dreamhost support.
posted by rhapsodie at 4:15 PM on September 8, 2006

FWIW, I'm not dropping connections, but my SquirrelMail at Dreamhost (I'm on the broadway server) doesn't drop, but it's usually hella slow.
posted by cebailey at 4:36 PM on September 8, 2006

DreamHost has been having mad imap issues lately. Contact support.
posted by dmd at 4:46 PM on September 8, 2006

Yeah, DreamHost has just been having a lot of problems lately. You might want to check out their status log (which seem to be ironically down right now) and see if there's a known issue before you bother contacting support.
posted by scottreynen at 5:18 PM on September 8, 2006

We use Squirellmail where I work; usually when that error happens, we call our IT guy and he has to reset the server.
posted by fvox13 at 5:23 PM on September 8, 2006

Dreamhost is totally f**ked right now. FYI.
posted by dmd at 9:18 PM on September 8, 2006

I'm on Dreamhost. SquirrelMail works fine for me right now, and I haven't noticed any problems at all in recent days.

Maybe it's an issue with the particular server you're on.

I seem to remember that a while ago, after I had not checked my webmail at Dreamhost for a year or two, I also got timeouts - while I didn't investigate too closely at the time, the problems went away after I shuffled around email accounts and started with a fresh one... meaning, got rid of all the junk that had collected in my inbox and trash folder over the previous year(s).
posted by ckemp at 7:15 AM on September 9, 2006

Oh, and I forgot to say - it looks like the issue is between Dreamhost's mail server and your webmail (ie. the "interface" to said mail server); so it doesn't matter where you access it from... the timeout happens inbetween two DH systems, not between them and you. Which means, there's nothing you can change on your machine or your connection to fix it... so the best approach, as others have said, is to contact Dreamhost support.
posted by ckemp at 7:20 AM on September 9, 2006

Squirrelmail is one of the worst webmail I've ever used. Unfortunately, being a DH customer, I'm kind of stuck with it.

Use the support form in the web management tools thingy. They'll get back to you within 24 hours if there's something to be done about the problem.
posted by rxrfrx at 7:49 AM on September 9, 2006

Thanks all (and Not in my backyard for asking), I've been having this trouble, too, and debating whether or not I should contact Dreamhost about it.
posted by The Great Big Mulp at 10:48 AM on September 9, 2006

« Older Transplant my Boot HD to new PC?   |   passive voice question Newer »