Help me find a good purse.

The search for the perfect purse.

I need a purse that will hold up to a moderate level of abuse. I need it to be large enough to carry papers (so larger than about 9x11"), but not so large that I throw everything I own in it. I need to be able to carry it on my shoulder, but I would prefer handles to a shoulder strap. In a perfect world, I would like it to come in leather in a color other than black or brown. Any suggestions?
posted by LittleMissCranky to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (7 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Try Knomo . They aren't cheap but are made of nice, high quality, leather and look great. They're really made to be laptop bags (not sure if you care about that) but they look great and seem to fit your requirements (they aren't cheap though).
(Website has Flash interface, click on Collection--> 2006 Ladies and go from there. I covet Cholet in red.
posted by cushie at 7:27 PM on September 7, 2006

My awesome Michael Kors Brookville Shopper seems to fit your requirements. I have it in bronze, which I was initially afraid would be too flashy, but I found it to be a fantastic neutral.

I found it at TJ Maxx so it was pricey but way below retail.
posted by gatorae at 7:54 PM on September 7, 2006

Look at hobo international bags. I have had three bags and two wallets by this company. They are stylish as well as functional and have many options that fit your description. They are not cheap, but they are affordable and totally worth the moderately expensive price you will pay.
posted by greta simone at 11:12 PM on September 7, 2006

What's your budget? That matters a lot.
posted by anjamu at 1:02 AM on September 8, 2006

I have this Lodis bag in the black with red trim -- it also comes in red. I get complements on it all the time and find that it's quite perfect for carrying papers. My 12" laptop also fits in there in a pinch (though not with a whole lot else inside at the same time), which I love. I am not gentle with it and it has been holding up very well. I'm afraid it's rather expensive, though. It's $258, which was hard for me to decide to spend, but I'm really glad I did.
posted by redfoxtail at 5:03 AM on September 8, 2006

Response by poster: Thanks for all the answers so far. anjamu, I'm not really looking to spend a fortune on a bag (so no birkins for me), but I'm willing to spend a couple hundred dollars.
posted by LittleMissCranky at 9:19 AM on September 8, 2006

Now that I have a price range, I can play personal shopper, which is one of my favorite ways to pass the time.

Here's a simple Kate Spade bag in ivory that is about the size you're looking for, and here's another Kate Spade tote in a sand color. The square twist buckle on the latter one is really neat.

I don't know how you feel about faux-crocodile or snakeskin, but this green Adrienne Vittadini bag is really striking.

A few more ones of differing styles: tan/white Blush B-Lush bag, Elliott Lucca satchel (shown in "curry"), the Sak chestnut bowler, slate blue Piquadro tote (also comes in purple and green, and their other bags are worth looking at, too), and this mauve Coccinelle tote, .

The style of bag you're looking for is often called a shopper, a tote, or even a "baby bag," so those keywords might help you in your search. Good luck!
posted by anjamu at 4:19 PM on September 8, 2006

« Older "Yes, it's a problem"   |   Any interesting gift ideas for a hip mom... Newer »