reader in search of a book title

My memory has infuriatingly mislaid the title and author of an unusually excellent (schlocky) long thriller I borrowed and gave back while on vacation recently. The book was by no means brand new. Chief climactic scene was a tunnel war under a mountain between vicious, separatist hillbillies in a southern "company" mining town and ex-Vietcong mercenaries. Author is a veteran writer - and the novel's protagonists - NY husband and wife lawyers with unusual kids - may have featured in a previous work of his. It's a perfectly satisfying read for a transatlantic flight when you can't take other "good" books for back-up due to hand luggage restrictions, which my long-suffering husband faces again in a fortnight. The title had nothing to do with the plot specifics above - it was a generic couple of words - like "justice" or similar. The author's name was pretty bland too. I can't believe I stupidly relied on my memory.
posted by Jody Tresidder to Media & Arts (4 answers total)

Best answer: I'm not sure of the specific title ("True Justice", "Justice Denied", ??), but it is from a series by Robert Tanenbaum. The husband and wife team are "Butch Karp" and "Marlene Ciampi". I've read and enjoyed most of his books.
posted by ChuckHur at 6:57 AM on September 1, 2006

Best answer: i don't think it's 'true justice' or 'justice denied', possibly 'absolute rage'?
posted by noloveforned at 7:08 AM on September 1, 2006

Response by poster: Chuckhur,
Don't know how to thank you, really. Using "Tanenbaum" on Amazon, I got to "Absolute Rage" - and that's the hillbilly-ex-vietcong one! Duly ordered.
I am very, very grateful.
posted by Jody Tresidder at 7:15 AM on September 1, 2006

Response by poster: i don't think it's 'true justice' or 'justice denied', possibly 'absolute rage'?
posted by noloveforned

And if I'd waited a few minutes more - I wouldn't even have had to trawl Tanenbaum's Amazon customer reviews...thank you so much noloveforned.

(And next time I borrow and return a wonderfully schlocky book on vacation - from one of those brilliant little tucked away dusty shelves you can find beside the front desk in even the most modest lodgings - I'll make a proper note of it.)
posted by Jody Tresidder at 7:40 AM on September 1, 2006

« Older Travel to Tehran in Jan. - wisdom, folly?   |   Time won't give me time Newer »