Spraypainting metal

How do you spray paint metal?

I need to spray paint my keyboard but obviously typical spray paint chips off hard surfaces easily. I need something that's durable.
posted by Jenna Roadman to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (9 answers total)

1) Primer
2) Paint
3) Clear coat

Talk to your local paint store for more details.

For a keyboard, I think this is more trouble than it is worth.
posted by randomstriker at 8:00 PM on August 27, 2006

Rust-Oleum spray metal primer
But a metal keyboard? Am I missing something?
posted by hydrophonic at 9:01 PM on August 27, 2006

Don't underestimate the difference good surface prep makes. Getting any oils (including fingerprints) off of the surface before the priming is always a good thing.

But I'm with hydrophonic: metal keyboard? Huh?
posted by IvyMike at 9:04 PM on August 27, 2006

It's probably a Powerbook. They have aluminum keyboards. (Actually I think they're plastic that looks like the aluminum so maybe I'm wrong)
posted by shanevsevil at 9:19 PM on August 27, 2006

If this is electronics (and unless there's some strange new definition of keyboard I'm unaware of...) I've got a bad feeling that spraypainting is going to, well, wreck it. More details? I think you should subject this project to greater scrutiny here.
posted by nanojath at 9:44 PM on August 27, 2006

Profile suggests you are a musician, I'm presuming a musical keyboard then, and I still think it is a bad idea. Won't paint get in between the keys and gum things up?
posted by nanojath at 9:48 PM on August 27, 2006

if you really want the paint to stick well:

- take it apart, so that each piece you want to paint is separate and free standing
- scrub the hell out of it with soap and water until it's very clean
- roughen the surface slightly with high-grit (fine) sandpaper
- clean in soap & water again, then wear powder-free gloves and wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and then acetone
- mask any areas you don't want to get paint into, particularly things with tight mechanical tolerances like the threads in a screw-hole
- spray on primer, then paint. use primer designed for metal surfaces and high-durability paint. spray on very lightly from far away. err on the side of not enough paint and do an extra coat if you think the coverage is too light. you really want to avoid the paint globbing up and/or dripping because the spaces between keys are tight.
posted by sergeant sandwich at 5:52 AM on August 28, 2006

Unless you can do as sergeant sandwich suggests, and you have an outside or well-ventilated area that you can do this in without getting spray-paint everywhere, you're better off just using a brush. You'll make a huge mess and destroy whatever it is you're trying to paint otherwise.
posted by Mr. Gunn at 6:37 AM on August 28, 2006

Avoid Rust-Oleum spray paints. Many colors of Rust-Oleum do not harden, no matter how long you let them dry. They scratch very easily. I have also seen some metallic Rust-Oleum colors tarnish.

If you do not have a fair amount of spraypainting experience, I would not take on this project. There is too much opportunity for errors that would make your situation worse than it is.
posted by Kirth Gerson at 7:09 AM on August 28, 2006

« Older What's the best solution for an ulta-simple CMS...   |   dog apartment rare like kopi luwak Newer »