Don't hate the playa, hate the game

I'm leaving for Burning Man early next week and would like to get appropriately decked out, but I'm an LA n00b. What are the best costume shops in Los Angeles?

I have no idea where to go, but with LA being the movie business town that it is I'm sure there is an abundance of places to shop. Ideas?
posted by mullingitover to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (5 answers total)

there is a shop in venice on Abbot Kinney BLVD that has signs in its' window saying, 'Get your burning man clothes here,' don't know the name off the top of my head but when i get a break from work i will walk down.
posted by dieguido at 9:36 AM on August 25, 2006

Robinson's Beautilities on venice and centinela is worth the trip just to see the place...
posted by milinar at 11:11 AM on August 25, 2006

I think the point of Burning Man is to make it yourself with feathers you found at a garage sale or something. I'd start with Goodwill.
posted by beatrice at 1:55 PM on August 25, 2006

costumes are dumb. be yourself, only really dirty. your hair will look great. just think desert.
posted by apostrophe at 2:23 PM on August 25, 2006

Polkadots and Moonbeams vintage and standard Halloween gear on Hollywood just east of Vermont, also Wacko is on that block and is good for nutty novelties. There's a huge costume shop (Halloween stuff or higher end wigs, prosthetics, etc.) on Hollywood Blvd around Cherokee, but I forget the name. Out of the Closet thrift stores usually bring out costumes around this time of year. Also, check to see if Jet Rag on La Brea is still doing their parking lot sales on Sunday, a great source for dollar polyester horrors. Have fun!
posted by Scram at 6:25 PM on August 25, 2006

« Older What's that site like word.com but with more drugs...   |   Qualities of a good sofa? Newer »