Has Pasargade Been Flooded?

Need help verifying the veracity of some news and photographs about/from the tomb of Cyrus The Great at Pasargade.

This morning, someone forwarded me some disturbing pictures of Cyrus the Great's tomb at Pasargade. In the pictures, the tomb is half submerged in water. The Iranian gov't had formed a committee to debate whether they should flood/dam Pasargade. Naturally, there was a great public outcry about even the possibility of this undertaking as it would effectively destroy one of Iran's oldest and most revered historical sites. Thousands of Iranians at home and abroad signed petitions protesting the flooding of the valley, and as far as I know the project was on hold. Cut to today, when an acquaintance forwarded me some shocking pictures of a half submerged Cyrus' tomb in the middle of a completely flooded valley. I can't find anything in the news or on the web about Pasargade being dammed, and a friend that saw the pictures claims they're fake or photoshopped. Does anyone know for certain whether the valley has indeed been flooded?
posted by Devils Slide to Society & Culture (1 answer total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Could you post the pictures? It would be quite easy for the eyes here to pick out veracity.
posted by The Michael The at 5:58 AM on August 25, 2006

« Older I'm afraid you can't name him after me, Dave.   |   Does Dealing in Souls Require Exact Change? Newer »