MSOneNote for Mac?

I was turned on to MS OneNote by someone using a Mac in a class I was taking. Now that I've bought a Macbook, I can't find a Mac version of OneNote! Help!

I am a mature student who has recently returned to University. I found someone using an older Mac laptop with OneNote running on it. I ended up purchasing the Windows version for use on my laptop.

Now I'm a MacBook Pro user, and want to download OneNote for my Mac - unfortunately, the campus store tells me there is no Mac version - this appears to be the case on the Microsoft website as well. I've installed Parallells and XP on my Macbook just so I can run OneNote, however, I can't help but get this nagging feeling out of my head that I'm missing something - the girl in class with the Mac laptop was running OneNote on her Mac and it appeared to work as a standalone app w/o windows running.

Is there any path or suggestions you can make to help me out?
posted by burhan to Technology (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Word 2004 on the Mac has a "Notebook" document type that's probably what you saw. It has some (but I don't think all) of the functionality of OneNote on Windows. Go to File -> Project Gallery, click the New tab (it's selected by default) and select "Word Notebook" as your new document type.
posted by jjg at 6:29 PM on August 22, 2006

Thanks Jig..

Just discovered "WordBook" which seems to be what they're calling this now - it's most of OneNote integrated into MSWord..

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/word2004/highlights.aspx
posted by burhan at 6:32 PM on August 22, 2006

Curio is a serviceable replacement for OneNote.
posted by evariste at 6:34 PM on August 22, 2006

Word and Entourage (MS version of Outlook for Mac) pretty much have all of OneNote integrated. Much of what is in OneNote started in the Mac Office.
posted by vanderwal at 7:01 PM on August 22, 2006

how about Inspiration?
posted by smithmac_99 at 11:16 PM on August 22, 2006

I am checking out Curio and Inspiration (have downloaded them and will install and tinker).

Thank you both!
posted by burhan at 2:08 PM on August 23, 2006

Thanks so much for this question and answers. I too just made the switch and I am addicted to OneNote on the PC.. I was debating for the longest time whether I should keep a PC just to store my notebook.. or switch to a Mac. I think I made the right decision.

Also wanted to mention that Circus Ponies also has a tool called Notebook... you might want to try that out as well.

And someone told me about DevonThink Pro.

Let us know what you decide to use!
posted by Quami77 at 10:14 AM on August 24, 2006

I've been playing with Curio so far. I'll give it a few days and will then try Inspiration. Will keep you advised.
posted by burhan at 5:38 PM on August 28, 2006

« Older super bowl!!!   |   Can anyone recommend a good solo musician for my... Newer »