Tenser, Said the Tensor!

Does anyone know where I can find an audio file of the song "Tenser, said the Tensor" from Alfred Bester's the Demolished Man?
posted by unreason to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

You mean with... some sort of official catchiest-tune-ever melody written by Bester? I've never heard of something like that*. Or are you just looking for a file someone made of it set to music?

* Although you could probably dig "Nothing But Gingerbread Left" out of the National Archives. But then the CIA would have to kill you.
posted by snarkout at 4:59 AM on August 17, 2006

Eight, sir; seven sir;
Six, sir; five, sir;
Four, sir; three, sir;
Two, sir; one!
Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tension, apprehension,
And dissension have begun.

No idea where to find an .mp3...
posted by tomble at 5:54 AM on August 17, 2006

Did Bester ever pick/write music for it?

You may be interested to know that the rock band "Liars" used it as the lyrics for part of their song "Pillars Were Hollow And Filled With Candy So We Tore Them Down". I don't know if it's catchy enough to keep a really determined esper out of your head.
posted by gds at 5:56 AM on August 17, 2006

What makes you think there's a tune that goes with it? I've never heard of such a thing.
posted by languagehat at 7:15 AM on August 17, 2006

Both John Zorn and V.R. Volvox have songs called Tensor, but I doubt they have much to do with the book, and are prolly not catchy songs.

I can not find any reference to the song actually having been recorded.

And that's probably OK.
posted by edgeways at 9:20 AM on August 17, 2006

I thought I saw a reference somewhere that someone had done a recording, or at least had a tune for it. Unfortunately, I can't remember the who, what, or where.
posted by unreason at 9:51 AM on August 17, 2006

« Older First battery to recharge in less time than it...   |   Winery Tours in Niagara Region of Ontario??? Newer »