Colored acetate film?
August 15, 2006 4:25 PM   Subscribe

I'm looking for colored acetate film, like Rubylith, but in different colors (like purple, amber, maybe green, etc.) Does something like this readily exist? And if so, where can I find/buy some (either in rolls or sheets?) Would maybe gels that photographers use to color their lights work?
posted by wubbie to Media & Arts (6 answers total)
Yes, light gels are what you are looking for. Gazzilions of colors, rolls, sheets, pre-cut squares if you care to pay for it. A professional photo store will have some, but theatre supply places will have more. You can also buy online.
posted by schwap23 at 4:47 PM on August 15, 2006

Roscolux, GamColor, and Lee are some names in theatrical lighting gels. Find a Rosco retailer.
posted by expialidocious at 5:26 PM on August 15, 2006

Amberlith already exists. It peels like rubylith does. Is the peeling part important?
posted by interrobang at 5:45 PM on August 15, 2006

If you just need a coloured acetate film and not the backing, there's Highlander Clearphane -- cheap, and available at crafts stores and florists' supplies places.
posted by phliar at 8:06 PM on August 15, 2006

Whether or not it would "work" depends on what you want to "do" with it.
posted by jjg at 9:01 PM on August 15, 2006

Do you live near a Guitar Center? They have a section in there for djs and there's always accessories for lighting. You can buy packs of different colored acetate there.
posted by Alpenglow at 6:17 AM on August 16, 2006

« Older Affordable lodging in New York City?   |   Tournament Software? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.