Finding Fun in the D.R.
August 11, 2006 1:03 PM   Subscribe

Dominican Republic travel in early September...

We are definitely buying a vacation package for an all-inclusive resort in one of these areas: Punta Cana, Juan Dolio, La Romana, or Puerto Plata.

Though we like all-inclusives for the eating/drinking/beach, we really do not care for the shows and activities. Instead, we catch a cab and go find some snorkeling, art, live music, narrowly avoided trouble, etc..

Can anyone recommend one of these resort areas and/or something to go and do nearby?
posted by mdpc98 to Travel & Transportation around Dominican Republic (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

We went to Punta Cana 3 years ago, and were rather disappointed about the lack of snorkeling-art-live-music-narrowly-avoided-trouble-etc. venues. There's not much there besides the resorts.
posted by MrMoonPie at 1:13 PM on August 11, 2006

I think you'd do better asking here.
posted by Kirth Gerson at 1:24 PM on August 11, 2006

My wife and I went to Punta Cana (Iberostar Bavaro) and had a fantastic time. However, what little we saw outside the resort seemed un-fun to non locals.

However, the travel agency/groups (like Apple) offered a number of different activities (for an additional cost) like snorkeling, SCUBA, ATV trips around a sugar plantation, tours of historic architecture/churhces. Unfortunately we had little time to investigate but heard that the ATV tour was awesome.

Check out the travel groups/agencies that are affiliated with the resort you're staying with and good luck!
posted by lyam at 1:33 PM on August 11, 2006

If you like beautiful white sand beaches, there is no better place than Punta Cana. However, as MrMoonPie and Lyam said, there is not much to do beyond the resort life.

We stayed at Bahia Principe when we were there, and that place has a "Playa" right outside the resort, where there was live music and dancing every night. But that was about it.

By the way, the best place to inquire about Dominican Republic is at "Debbie's Carribean Travels" website forums. Here is the direct link to its Dominican Republic Forums
posted by tuxster at 1:53 PM on August 11, 2006

that place has a "Playa" right outside the resort

Oh man, funny mental image...
posted by idontlikewords at 1:55 PM on August 11, 2006

idontlikewords writes "that place has a 'Playa' right outside the resort

"Oh man, funny mental image..."

Obviously that was the wrong word as I typed in a hurry. The correct word should have been Pueblo.
posted by tuxster at 4:21 PM on August 11, 2006

You might also find www.dr1.com to be a helpful resource.

You didn´t say if you speak Spanish, by the way. That would tend to limit things.

I went to DR for two weeks last year, with my girlfriend (who is Dominican), so we didnt really stray near any of the resorts - but we were in the area of La Romana and Puerto Plata (Punta Cana is on the eastern coast, is all resorts, and is really isolated). We had a rental car but also took public transportation at points too.

Puerto Plata the city is sorta rundown - the hotels and resorts are actually located to the east of the city itself, which simply keep all the tourists and visitors within their walls. The city did have some decent restaruants and a fair amount of historic things to see (you should really ride the cable car up to the top of the mountain if you have a chance)

La Romana isnt THAT far from Santo Domingo (maybe 1.5 hours by car or bus), which is about four million ppl and is the capital of DR, as well as having a plethora of museums and probably the most cultural and historical stuff available in DR. Well worth going to, for at least a day.

Also, if you have a chance to make it out to the Samana Pennisula, ýou´ll find it incredibly beautiful.

Drop me an email more info.
posted by jare2003 at 9:30 AM on August 12, 2006

« Older Learning by example   |   Can we get to a D.C. beach without a car? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.