Does this thing have commonly accepted name?
August 2, 2006 9:30 AM   Subscribe

I want to buy something but I can't think what to call it to search for it!

It's usually used to cinch rucksack laces or shoelaces closed.

It's often barrel shaped and about 1.5 cm (a little more than half an inch) long, usu. made of plastic, and typically cylindrical, with a spring holding tension on an internal retaining plate and holes on either side of the curved wall. Sometimes the gadget isn't cylindrical and the holes are side-by-side.

You push on the ends with thumb & forefinger to press in a button that allow the laces to slide freely through the holes, and when you release the button, the retainer clamps the laces firmly.

I've tried "lace clamp," "barrel clamp," etc. and I'm getting nowhere. I've been to a sports superstore, a camping/hunting/fishing superstore, and a couple of big-box retailers -- all without success. I remember being in a camping store once where they had a huge fishbowl of these gadgets for 25 cents each.
posted by pax digita to Grab Bag (7 answers total)
I think you're talking about cordlocks? $1 seems sorta steep, but there ya' go.
posted by JMOZ at 9:34 AM on August 2, 2006

try lace lock or shoelace lock!
posted by subatomiczoo at 9:38 AM on August 2, 2006

I've always called them toggles.
posted by SassHat at 9:39 AM on August 2, 2006

Speed Laces?
posted by Zed_Lopez at 9:41 AM on August 2, 2006

Cord Locks or Cord Stops
posted by sarahnade at 9:42 AM on August 2, 2006

Googling "lace lock" seemd to reveal a whole bunch of stuff, including this About page. Thx all.

Now, to find somebody that'll give me deal on a couple dozen of the blighters...
posted by pax digita at 9:44 AM on August 2, 2006

Oh, and sarahnade, the sewing place had the best deal on the barrel type -- again, thx muchly!
posted by pax digita at 10:08 AM on August 2, 2006

« Older Is there somewhere nice to propose near Golden...   |   Can you help an idjit to get her old... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.