Help settle an argument about "Virtual Insanity."

Music Video Filter: Help settle an argument about "Virtual Insanity."

In the music video for Jamiroquai "Virtual Insanity" it seems like the walls, floor, and the couch are moving. Is it the walls or the floor that move?

The video can be found here
posted by ndaguiar to Media & Arts (13 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

The entire room is being pushed around around him. The floor is stationary.

I remember seeing this addressed on TV, but can't back that up with a source.
posted by utsutsu at 2:03 PM on July 28, 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Insanity

Wikipedia says the room is moving.
posted by jplank at 2:04 PM on July 28, 2006

Utsutsu's right. It would be much harder to make a free-range conveyor belt type thing, such that would produce that effect, than it is to just make the rest of the room mobile.
posted by duende at 2:04 PM on July 28, 2006

Also consider that if the floor moved, the guy in the video would be thrown off-balance momentarily when it changed directions (unless he was really good)
posted by 0xFCAF at 2:09 PM on July 28, 2006

I saw a "making of" video - the walls move, the floor is stationary.
posted by twiggy at 2:12 PM on July 28, 2006

The thing that throws the viewer off is the fact that the camera is attached to the structure that is the walls/ceiling. So it appears that the camera and the walls are both stationary but there are a few moments in the video when you can see some jiggling of the camera.
posted by JJ86 at 2:27 PM on July 28, 2006

Best answer: The director discusses the technique here.
posted by xsquared-1 at 2:31 PM on July 28, 2006

Odd, I saw him perform this on stage and he was clearly walking along a moving treadmill. I suppose the video was done differently.
posted by mathowie at 3:12 PM on July 28, 2006

That video remains one of my all-time favorites because of the (nearly) seamless motion of it all (and the big hat).
posted by fenriq at 3:26 PM on July 28, 2006

When live, they used a moving treadmill floor to give the dance moves a similar effect to the video. I think the album is even called "travelling without moving."
posted by filmgeek at 4:21 PM on July 28, 2006

They needed to digitally remove the footprints of the people pushing the walls of the room around after it was shot. Otherwise it would have been obvious that the floor was stationary.
posted by metaname at 5:46 PM on July 28, 2006

Yes, I went to see Jamiroquai during this tour. There was a moving treadmill onstage, but all these years it'd never occurred to me that the video was shot differently, and without using lots of CG. Thanks for asking.
posted by misozaki at 6:36 PM on July 28, 2006

There's a part in the video where the camera shakes just a teeny bit, because it's mounted to moving walls, and something went bump. Look really closely.
posted by brownpau at 5:44 AM on July 29, 2006

« Older My kingdom for a Large!   |   Help us choose an online advertising supplier Newer »