How can I attach a golf club to a motorcycle?

My friend just got a motorcycle, but he's bumming since it's become nearly impossible to carry a golf club (for the driving range) with him anywhere. Any tips on how to safely strap a club to a bike?

We've googled for cane holders, but haven't really seen anything.

This sort of started after we saw Dr. House (yes that one) mount his cane to his newly accuired bike.

The bike is an '89 Yamaha 535, so it's smaller.
posted by svdodge to Travel & Transportation (11 answers total)

Across the back in a sheath, like a sword? Otherwise, why not some of the fairly sturdy clips you can buy for household purposes, like holding brooms etc. Mounting may require some work, but it could surely be done.
posted by tomble at 11:02 PM on July 23, 2006

I've seen rigs to hold fishing poles on a bike, though I can't seem to find them on these here Internets.
posted by fake at 11:57 PM on July 23, 2006

A golf club? Strap it to your sissy bar, dude.
posted by pracowity at 12:38 AM on July 24, 2006

He needs to buy a sissy bar and a couple of straps. He also needs to pick and choose what clubs to bring, 'cause a whole set is a bad idea.
posted by scaryblackdeath at 12:49 AM on July 24, 2006

You might look into rifle scabbards. In WW II, both sides (Allies and Germans) used to tie scabbards onto the upper fork sections of Harley-Davidson and BMW sidecar rigs, to carry carbines and rifles to be used by the driver when stopped.
posted by paulsc at 1:13 AM on July 24, 2006

I've seen a system used on mopeds at a regional Victoria golf course, Port Fairy Golf Club. It was basically a rack designed to place the bag "Side-Saddle" behind the rider.

I have to admit it was a strange sight to see a group of four elderly men riding down a fairway on Mopeds with Golf Bags attached.

I haven't been able to find any references on the web, but I might give them a call tomorrow to see if there are any plans or details on the modifications.
posted by michswiss at 2:54 AM on July 24, 2006

My first suggestion would just be to strap it across his back.
If that's not an option, either tie it to a fork arm, or under the tank on the right side. If it's under the tank he'd be straddling it along with the seat, so it'll be a little uncomfortable, but at least it won't interfere with his shifting.
posted by gally99 at 3:15 AM on July 24, 2006

I like the idea of putting it in a scabbard as paulsc mentioned... my first response to this question was... "Couldn't he just use a chain or a broken bottle like all the other bikers?"

I ride bi(cycle) a lot with a tripod strapped to my back, and it's hard to control the thing. I vote against this method. Secure it to the bike, so there's never a chance that adjusting it will cause an accident.
posted by fake at 3:50 AM on July 24, 2006

Would a shorter golf club help?
posted by Mr Stickfigure at 4:40 AM on July 24, 2006

In Bermuda it's quite common to see golfers riding their scooters down the road with their full set of clubs strapped to their back with one of those backpack-style club bags (you know, the ones with two straps like a backpack). They seem to do alright.
posted by helvetica at 6:16 AM on July 24, 2006

I've done alright with my backpack style stand bag strapped to my back on some longish highway rides. I do worry a bit about what would happen to me if I went down, though.
posted by ChuckLeChuck at 8:08 AM on July 24, 2006

« Older DNS behind L4   |   What is this bug? Newer »