Paternal rights advocacy organization
July 22, 2006 6:06 PM   Subscribe

Legal advocacy group filter: I'm having a hard time tracking down legitimate paternal rights advocacy groups (I know they are out there). Can anyone point me in some useful directions?

I have a custody/visitation case that I need some expert legal advice on. It is an unusual and involved case and the attorneys I have used in the past have just been overwhelmed by the superior (pro-bono) counsel of the opposing party (a top family law attorney). If anyone knows of paternal rights organizations that have an Internet presence? Thanks!
posted by mrmojoflying to Law & Government (5 answers total)
See here for a fairly comprehensive listing. I still think getting a good lawyer who specializes in family law is your best bet. Costly though. Good luck.
posted by ifranzen at 8:07 PM on July 22, 2006

You could check out the His Side with Glenn Sacks radio show Web site. Bunch o' links to paternal custody case resources there. Like this book, written by two guys, one of whom is an attorney doing paternal custody/visitation and divorce cases.

It helps to read and network, but ultimately, you're going to have to find an attorney who is sharp and hates to lose, and will take paternal parties as clients. The system being what it is in most jurisdictions, few top attorneys will be looking for such cases, as the odds are against them. If you're determined and well-heeled, and have a reasonable case, you can possibly hire the talent you need, but you are going to have to actively recruit them. Good luck.
posted by paulsc at 8:59 PM on July 22, 2006

I don't know where you are, but this guy in the Chicago area is pretty well known for specializing in fathers' rights cases. He's also got a bunch of related links and articles on his website.

Good luck!
posted by SisterHavana at 10:09 PM on July 22, 2006

What state?
posted by bim at 3:24 AM on July 23, 2006

Response by poster: Thank you for the links. I am using them to actually find myself an aggressive, well-heeled attorney who specializes in representing paternal parties. I have learned the hard way that you get the legal representation you pay for.
posted by mrmojoflying at 8:14 AM on July 24, 2006

« Older How to appeal a university's rejection?   |   How do I remove invisible fiberglass splinters? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.