my files my files my files come back!
July 21, 2006 4:36 PM   Subscribe

Why are my files suddenly old?!

On my 1and1 account, suddenly all of my files reverted to what i suppose is a snapshot of what they were either earlier today or last night, and i've lost a lot of work that i did earlier today. I'm on the phone with their tech support right now, but I have no faith in them - anyone have any tips or clues or ideas?
posted by soma lkzx to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)

eh, they restored from backup after a crash of some sort. You, unfortunately, are probably hosed.
posted by orthogonality at 4:40 PM on July 21, 2006

Response by poster: they need to let their users know these things. thank the good lord i saved a backup this very morning. odd that their last backup was july 16th, i think.
posted by soma lkzx at 4:43 PM on July 21, 2006

My guess? New employee did a backup backwards.
posted by orthogonality at 4:52 PM on July 21, 2006

Response by poster: if anyone happens to still be around - i've restored everything from my backup, but i keep getting rails-generated 500 errors when i try to access the web server. dispatch.fcgi doesn't error out any more than usual on the command line and script/console works fine. what gives?
posted by soma lkzx at 6:19 PM on July 21, 2006

Check that the files and directories are readable by the server, and chmod as necessary.
posted by orthogonality at 6:31 PM on July 21, 2006

Response by poster: i suppose when you get to the point where you've 777'd everything there isn't much left to do
posted by soma lkzx at 6:43 PM on July 21, 2006

Does the server give you anything? Quite possibly 1 and 1 trashed it along with your files.
posted by orthogonality at 7:10 PM on July 21, 2006

Response by poster: turns out when they server got reset or whatever it changed back to default 1and1 server settings, which turns off fastcgi along with a lot of other Totally Important stuff. All I had to do was go back in their control panel and switch it back and I was good to go.
posted by soma lkzx at 2:09 PM on July 22, 2006

« Older Burning smell coming from engine?   |   Please give me advice on what I can do to give... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.