Perl Peril

Can anybody suggest a gentle forum or mailing list for a Perl newbie?

I have a small programming project in mind -- essentially, using Blat to send a folder full of attachments to a Gmail account, one attachment per message. I'd like to do this in Perl (it's free, I have a copy handy and I'd really like to learn it). I have a very small amount of programming experience, and I don't know where to start on this project. Where are the best forums or mailing lists for a Perl beginner? I need to ask stupid questions and don't want to get flamed...
posted by lhauser to Computers & Internet (7 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

IANAPG (I am not a perl guy).. but one interesting resource is perlmonks.org - it's a combination community site/code repository. You can probably find the component parts of what you want to do on there, and in cleaner versions than on CPAN.

Also, if you have IRC, it's a great resource for this kind of thing. irc.freenode.net ##Perl *is* a perl help channel. Ignore any snarky comments that get floated your way - we all were there at some point.

posted by Vantech at 12:14 PM on July 15, 2006

The Camel Book was written for you. Seriously, pick up a copy anywhere programming books are sold, and read it. If you show up on Perl resources asking questions answered in the Camel book, you will not like what happens.

Next, download and install CPAN. CPAN helps you avoid re-inventing the wheel. Yet again.

Finally, there are a huge bunch of Perl resources linked off Perl.org.
posted by paulsc at 12:20 PM on July 15, 2006

PerlMonks is indeed a great resource, but not always very responsive to open-ended questions. These'll help:

How to ask questions the smart way
How to ask a question so that it'll get an answer

I'd start with the Llama book before the Camel book -- the Camel is great if you're already a programmer, the Llama is better for a beginner.
posted by Zed_Lopez at 1:42 PM on July 15, 2006

Definitely PerlMonks, and definitely be a little careful about asking the question. They can be a bit merciless if it looks like homework, or if you post "need to do this: post me some code please". But it doesn't seem like you'd do that anyway.
posted by AmbroseChapel at 6:17 PM on July 15, 2006

Response by poster: Thanks for the answers so far... Llama and Camel books are good ideas, but I'm unemployed and trying to avoid spending money, if I can, for what is essentially a hobbyist endeavor (yes, there could be potential long-term economic benefit). I'll have to see if my library has either of them (likely).

I was actually think of asking for pointers to information or directions to look in. Code snippets would always been good, of course, but I'm not gonna ask for them. I'll check out PerlMonks and CPAN, thanks. Keep 'em coming!
posted by lhauser at 6:28 PM on July 15, 2006

I work with some of the best Perl guys in the business, and they all recommend the Llama book and the Camel book. It's likely you'd find either or both in a library, but if you can't find them or inter-library loans won't get them to you, you might consider O'Reilly's Safari service, which lets you read them online and has a two week trial. I think it's about $15 a month.
posted by anildash at 8:45 PM on July 15, 2006

If you google hard enough you will find someone that's posted both Llama and Camel in html format online via the Perl CD Bookshelf.
posted by mcstayinskool at 9:42 PM on July 15, 2006

« Older Why won't amazon.com load in Firefox?   |   Open Source Trouble Ticket system help - OTRS or... Newer »