Will a UK post-grad diploma help me get an MA in the US?
July 6, 2006 10:36 AM   Subscribe

I have a post-graduate diploma from England and want to finish my MA, but the requirements are unreal. Should I scrap and start over in the US?

I have a post-graduate diploma (a degree one-below an MA) in broadcast journalism from a university in England, and was planning on getting my masters but got a job before MA work started and took the job. Now I am back in the states working in in radio and want to finish my MA. The requirements mean that whatever I do, it needs to be done for a British broadcasting organization, which means that my own show, which would be happy to have my work, is out of the picture. I would love to finish my MA in journalism. Any advice on whether schools would let me transfer my post-grad diploma and just let me start my thesis, or would I have to start over from scratch would be appreciated. Anyone else have to deal with this kind of thing? I am American, btw.
posted by parmanparman to Education (8 answers total)
You'd probably have to start from scratch to get a master's from a U.S. institution. But most journalism MA programs only take a year, and none takes more than two. I'm pretty sure your radio show would count for any experience credits required from U.S. institutions -- assuming it's radio journalism you're doing.

Why don't you send an e-mail to U-MD College Park. It's a state school where you're at, and has a very highly respected journalism program. Admissions officers there should be able to give you a clear answer on the requirements.
posted by croutonsupafreak at 10:41 AM on July 6, 2006

NYU Journalism takes a year and a half and has a very good broadcast concentration.
posted by cgs06 at 10:55 AM on July 6, 2006

I figured as much. I'll e-mail UMD. Also looking at Columbia. Hope I can at least do a partial credit transfer
posted by parmanparman at 11:09 AM on July 6, 2006

The University of Phoenix probably has a campus in your area and is generous with transfer credit.
posted by blue_beetle at 11:23 AM on July 6, 2006

The University of Phoenix probably has a campus in your area and is generous with transfer credit.

A degree from the University of Phoenix would not gain anywhere close to the respect from a master's from NYU, UMD, or Columbia.
posted by grouse at 12:38 PM on July 6, 2006

Another consideration: If you've already got a job you like, do you need an MA? Based on what I've seen, experience trumps education big time in American journalism. It sounds like you've already got a job. Is an MA going to benefit you?

Admittedly, I'm not as familiar with radio journalism as with print, and I don't know whether it might matter more if you return to the UK. Also, an MA is valuable if you're hoping to teach at some point in the future.
posted by croutonsupafreak at 1:21 PM on July 6, 2006

What are the specific experience requirements for your program? Could you somehow do freelance or part-time work? Could you set up a sole proprietorship in the UK and invoice your current employer? Are there creative ways to meet the experience need, if that's all that's separating you from graduation?
posted by acoutu at 1:25 PM on July 6, 2006

Croutonsupafreak, it's about more experience for me, not my work. I am the producer of a public radio show about religion and ethics. I have a goal of eventually doing something like teaching radio journalism or youth radio and need an MA to do so. I would also like to eventually return to work or teach in England, so need an MA to qualify for a highly-skilled migrant permit.

Acoutu: My program required two programs tailored to fit a part of a wider program aired nationally on British terrestrial AM/FM/Digital radio. It can be in English/Welsh/Gealic or Manx and should reflect the work a person is already doing.
posted by parmanparman at 1:56 PM on July 6, 2006

« Older What do I need next to my batarang?   |   Tech companies founded in 2002? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.