Need New Undershirts

Please help me find comfortable undershirts. I searched previous entries on metafilter, but had no luck

I need to find new undershirts. Till now, I have been wearing Jockey undershirts that I purchased many years ago. Needless to say, they have become dingy and threadbare. I bought new jockeys (tag-less, my originals have tags) and they seem to have changed their design quite a bit -- for the worse. What I like most about the originals it that the collar was and continues to be quits snug around the neck, a feature the new ones sorely lack. I have tried other shirts form Hanes, fruit of the loom, and stafford, but they all fall short. I would love it if I could find the original style for sale somewhere. Please help, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
posted by Ezrie to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (13 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Based on esponses to this question I posted last year, I got hooked on Hanes Premium t-shirts.
posted by kdern at 10:06 AM on June 30, 2006

If you got cash to burn, BananaRepublic makes great t-shirts that are snug, soft, and last a very long time. The stretch cotton is great for the winter when you wear a few layers while the normal shirt is great for wearing under button-down shirts, polos, etc.
posted by SeizeTheDay at 10:15 AM on June 30, 2006

it's the only thing i'll ever buy with a ck logo on it, but calvin klein undershirts are comfy and last a long time. buy in bulk online.
posted by SeƱor Pantalones at 10:30 AM on June 30, 2006

I'm currently wearing Hanes Premium Tagless. They are OK, particularly for the price when you find them on sale. I loved my pre-tagless Jockey t-shirts, too, and, like you, prefer t-shirts be and stay snug around the neck. This last batch of Hanes has been doing well, so far. The last Calvin Klein t-shirts I bought were very nice and lasted well, but definitely an investment, since I like to have at least a dozen t-shirts.
posted by hankbear at 10:31 AM on June 30, 2006

The CK undershirts I bought once I found to be very nice, except they were on the short side, and would easily come untucked under whatever I was wearing on top. I like a nice long undershirt to keep tucked way down in my pants. I'm 6'0", so if you're around my height, maybe try out one pack before you buy a bunch.

I have found the Hanes Premiums to be really good. You can get them at Target 3 for $11 approximately. I prefer to toss them out and buy new ones when they inevitably get really yellow in the armpits. That's why I don't go for more expensive stuff.
posted by jeff-o-matic at 10:43 AM on June 30, 2006

I went to Costco and bought a whole boat-load of their Kirkland brand undershirts, and I love them. Super cheap, and they work great.
posted by kevinmeyers at 10:56 AM on June 30, 2006

I use a house brand sold by Macy's called "Alfani". They go really well with dress shirts, fit snugly around the chest, and are cut longer, so there's enough material to tuck into my pants.
posted by Brian James at 11:35 AM on June 30, 2006

I like the ones from Footlocker. I can get 5 for $20 in the New York City area.
posted by surferboy at 12:18 PM on June 30, 2006

These are all great suggestions. I had no idea there was such a vast world of undershirts available. I will have to try all these suggestions. Time to break the bank.
posted by Ezrie at 12:45 PM on June 30, 2006

IMO, the best undershirts around are the 556 brand from Brooks Brothers. If you are near a BB outlet they will probably be a little cheaper there, but still comparable in price to the Banana Republic ones.
posted by mattbucher at 1:41 PM on June 30, 2006 [1 favorite]

My husband recently discovered underarmor undershirts, available at sporting good stores. They aren't cheap ($40 apiece for the most expensive kind, $20 for the others) but apparently they have magical microfiber sweat-wicking properties and keep you much cooler than regular shirts. It's hot and sticky here in VA so he's been wearing pricey undershirts under regular shirts that he got for free at conferences. Go figure.
posted by selfmedicating at 6:31 PM on June 30, 2006

I just went to Foot Locker and Brooks Brothers. Looks like BB are the best, soft and tight around the neck.

Thanks all. Great help.
posted by Ezrie at 9:39 AM on July 3, 2006

Thanks for the followup Ezrie. I was looking for tee's with exactly the same requirements.
posted by klarck at 5:32 PM on July 4, 2006

« Older A DJ earbud?   |   RenameMyBlankFilter Newer »