Why do these frames misbehave?

Can anyone tell me why the left frame in this website (be warned, it is a travesty of logic and good design) is minimized when I open the page in Internet Explorer, but opens correctly in Firefox?
posted by foxinthesnow to Computers & Internet (8 answers total)

The left column is set to 17 pixels wide in the frame source (for some reason. Maybe they meant 17%?). It opens the same for me in IE and Firefox, though IE just shows white in the space until I drag it open wider, while Firefox fills the space with a scrollbar.
posted by GeekAnimator at 10:59 AM on June 28, 2006

Both are squished over for me, but Firefox only gives it a hair more space to see that there might be something worth pulling the frame bar over for. I can see all 3 frames in both browsers.
posted by vanoakenfold at 11:01 AM on June 28, 2006

The values for Cols and Marginwidth are 17 and 12 this leaves 5px of space for content, which is being taken up by the scroll bar. Try setting Cols to something like 200 and marginwidth to 5.
posted by doctor_negative at 11:03 AM on June 28, 2006

Both are squished for me as well. FF shows the text, IE does not. This is what I see:

IE

Firefox

posted by iconomy at 11:05 AM on June 28, 2006

Um...I sure wish you had a contact e-mail address in your profile, foxinthesnow.
posted by QIbHom at 11:36 AM on June 28, 2006

Yes, my view is the same as iconomy's.
posted by essexjan at 2:35 PM on June 28, 2006

Same in Safari. They must be serious noobs.
posted by KimG at 4:25 PM on June 28, 2006

So, it wasn't squished in Firefox for me because I hadn't refreshed the page and I was still viewing some older, correct version of it! Silly me. Anyway, once I did, I realized that it was not my computer, but the website's fault. I emailed your answers. Hopefully, they'll fix it soon. Thanks.
posted by foxinthesnow at 8:21 PM on June 28, 2006

« Older Why do The Movies Sound So Much Better?   |   I really want this job. Can I say so? Newer »