Where can I find large adhesive panels?
June 24, 2006 12:15 PM   Subscribe

I'm working on a craft-type project that, when finished, will involve adhering large nylon panels to plastic or metal surfaces. I've done a few sample versions of this by covering cardstock in cloth tape, putting my image on the tape, and then using more of the matching cloth tape to adhere the panel to the surface. There has to be a better way to do this with the nylon, though - is there such a thing as large double-sided adhesive sheets that can turn a reasonably light piece of cloth/sythetic/paper into what's essentially a giant sticker?
posted by OverlappingElvis to Media & Arts (8 answers total)
spray adhesive might be what you are looking for
posted by radioamy at 12:23 PM on June 24, 2006

Double sided adhesive materials are available in up to 48" rolls. 3M makes some as do others.
posted by StickyCarpet at 12:31 PM on June 24, 2006

I was going to point out spray adhesive, too (always spray it lightly on your surfaces, and for the love of noodles, please, PLEASE, spray that shit somewhere well-ventilated, and mind your valuables as you spray) but perhaps you could also try some of those velcro tabs.
posted by DenOfSizer at 2:59 PM on June 24, 2006

I think a giant sticker could get hard to handle, even small stickers are a pain, so an adhesive (spray, or whatever else) might be better.

I guess you don't want to hold it up while it dries?

Also, you probably don't need all those square feet of bonding surface. Just a few strips of double sided tape across the back would be able to hold up a fair bit of weight. Actually, double sided foam tape, I think. It seems to do a better job of bonding to irregular surfaces.

Anyway, McMaster-Carr has everything. It is hard to deep link on their site, but try searching for Rubber and Foam, and then selecting either Sheets, Bars and Strips or Film. On the new page you will be able to select Adhesive, and so on..
posted by Chuckles at 3:38 PM on June 24, 2006

Aerosol Spray seems convenient when you look at it in the store, but spray is actually very messy. That goes for paint, oil, grease, adhesive, whatever. Not that it is always bad or anything, but I think people tend to pick spray first nowadays, and that is probably wrong.
posted by Chuckles at 3:42 PM on June 24, 2006

And I forgot the link.. McMaster-Carr.
posted by Chuckles at 3:43 PM on June 24, 2006

If a spray adhesive like 3M Super77 is too messy you could roll on a latex contact adhesive. You'll need to coat both surfaces and wait for it to dry but it is quite a bit more controllable than the spray.
posted by Mitheral at 3:48 PM on June 24, 2006

A contact adhesive is a good way to do it. Try a carpet tile adhesive if you want a low odour, water based adhesive. I use this a lot at work and it's very strong. This process is easier if you're using an adhesive which sets after you've laid down the item - if it's creased or crooked, you can lift it and re-apply it.

If you're using adhesive on a roll, like a very wide double sided tape, you'll need to be careful when applying it. Once you've covered the back of the first surface, peel an inch or two of the backing paper away at one edge, line up the item to be stuck down and press down the edge onto the exposed adhesive.

You may want to get someone else to reach under the item being stuck down and slowly peel the backing paper from the adhesive as you carefully press down the item to the now exposed adhesive with a soft cloth.

Take care with wrinkling, this process can require quite a bit of practice.

If you're looking to buy an adhesive film, the 3M material is very good, but quite expensive (it's often used in high end applications). You should be able to get a generic material that will suit your purporses from any company which sells laminating film.
posted by tomble at 6:58 PM on June 24, 2006

« Older Wok -- round or flat bottom?   |   Shift my visual paradigms Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.