Tiny Memory Cards

What can I do with some old, tiny, memory cards? I recently purchased a new digital camera to replace my near-broken model. When I purchased the camera, I also picked up a 512 MB SecureDigital card. Previously, I used a 32MB card with my older camera. The camera also came with a 16MB MMC Card.

I'm really not sure what to do with them, short of tossing them. I don't really want just throw them away. I've got a Thumbdrive (256MB), so that rules out using them as mass storage. Selling them on eBay doesn't seem to be worth the trouble. Any ideas?
posted by SansPoint to Technology (13 answers total)

Keep them around for JUST IN CASE backup? Store private documents on them hidden around the house, also JUST IN CASE (w/encryption, obviously).

I actually have the same problem and I just keep them around in my change bowl. :)
posted by jedrek at 3:52 AM on June 24, 2006

Freecycle them.
posted by Rhomboid at 4:08 AM on June 24, 2006

A 32 MB card is big enough to do a backup of many PDAs.
posted by kindall at 8:16 AM on June 24, 2006

I use those useless 16MB SD cards that come with cameras in iPaqs for additional memory.
posted by Mitheral at 8:27 AM on June 24, 2006

Well, I lack a PDA. I know some cell phones can use SD or MMC cards to upgrade their memory, but not mine.
posted by SansPoint at 8:28 AM on June 24, 2006

using freedos or the like, they make a nice (and much more flexible) alternative to floppy disks for upgrading firmware of motherboard, video card, cd/dvd rom, camera, etc. (or other arcane tasks that requite booting into dos.) assuming you have a card reader that your computer can boot from.

or you could install e.g. ntpasswd (or a very small linux distro like dsl or puppy?) on it to make a small but decent forensic tool.
posted by dorian at 8:33 AM on June 24, 2006

Go out and buy a JuiceBox for < $20 and build yourself a a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tv/6694555/in/pool-make/">Photo frame?
posted by Orb2069 at 8:38 AM on June 24, 2006

If you don't have a PDA or phone that can use those cards, perhaps you know someone who does who might like a free memory card to use in it...
posted by kindall at 8:48 AM on June 24, 2006

Current value of 32MB SD: ~$15.00 USD
Current value of 16MB MMC: ~$6.00 USD

As both items are used, figure less than $20.00 USD.

I'm sure someone on craigslist would be willing to barter a music CD or some books for the cards.
posted by Smart Dalek at 8:56 AM on June 24, 2006

I second the idea of putting documents on them - not just private ones, but documents period. In fact, I think I have an 8mb SD lying about someplace. I've been using writely to write/store all the class papers I've written over the last semester and a half or so but having them only stored online always made me a bit nervous. I'm gonna go back up as much as I can on that card right now. Thanks for the inspiration!
posted by dihutenosa at 2:47 PM on June 24, 2006

Sony had a Floppy -> Memory Stick adapter for it's Mavica cameras... is there such a beast for other cards as well? I don't think there were any special drivers, but that was a long time ago, and I may have forgotten... but I can't help but think that a 32 meg floppy would always be useful to have around.
posted by hatsix at 3:02 PM on June 24, 2006

not a floppy adapter per se but they do make SD card readers that are the same form factor as your average USB memory stick.
posted by mrg at 6:20 PM on June 24, 2006

Oh man that ebay auction cracks me up. $1 Buy-it-now with $8 shipping.

I bought one of these from here . It came to a grand total of $3.50 including shipping. The vendor seemed a little fishy (and when it arrivied it looked like it had been air-mailed from the back of a van in China or some other locale whose characters I cannot read) but, hey, it got here fast and was exactly what it said it would be.
posted by Rhomboid at 7:10 PM on June 24, 2006

« Older I can't come.   |   E-mail tech information Newer »