Hip logo for school

What are some interesting school logos that blend traditional and modern design elements and typography together?

I'm designing a logo for a high school and need to spruce up a traditional design into something more contemporary, while keeping some elements of the traditional (crests, banners, etc..) Are there any school websites with cool, hip logos out there?
posted by dvjtj to Media & Arts (11 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

UCLA has done away with its shield/crest altogether.

I like Northwestern's logo designs.

posted by Mr. Six at 11:06 PM on June 22, 2006

NYU's is probably the closest towards what I'm going for, but maybe something with a font / style similar to things like this:
posted by dvjtj at 11:10 PM on June 22, 2006

Yuck, those identikal fonts are about as cheesy as the amateur freeware at 1001freefonts, which despite it's name has actually about 4000 fonts.
posted by delmoi at 11:28 PM on June 22, 2006

As with the NYU logo, you can simplify the traditional graphical elements to make them sleeker and more modern, but you should keep the typeface conservative. The identikal fonts might be okay for a new media conference or something else with a short lifespan, but not a school logo.
posted by beerbajay at 3:57 AM on June 23, 2006

From:

To:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
posted by Olli at 4:16 AM on June 23, 2006

Just to echo what other people have said: good typography is contemporary. A well designed font and simple stark logos (like the second Durham) will really stand out as stylish.

If you absolutely need new fonts, check out the foundries Veer, House Industries, or Adobe just to name a few. Some of those might be too contemporary but there are some really gorgeous conservative choices.

Please do not use free fonts, I guarantee whichever one you pick, there will be a professional one with obvious benefits.
posted by Brainy at 6:33 AM on June 23, 2006

The Norwegian University of Life Sciences has a logo that is randomly generated for every instance of use. Here is one example. The idea, of course, is to emulate the type of biological life that the university studies. Kinda clever.
posted by dagny at 8:03 AM on June 23, 2006 [1 favorite]

UVA has a nice logo
posted by geeky at 9:12 AM on June 23, 2006

Looks identical to your link and never changes when I reload it. Are you sure?
posted by public at 9:17 AM on June 23, 2006

Cool, thanks for the links! I will post my final version when finished..
posted by dvjtj at 11:59 PM on June 23, 2006

Public, visit the main page of the school - http://www.umb.no Cool! Thanks, dagny!
posted by deliriouscool at 3:29 PM on June 26, 2006

« Older Whither Capnius?   |   How much do you need to retire young? Newer »