Help me remember this song from the mid 90s

I need some help rediscovering the artist and title of a song from ten years ago or so - vague memories follow:

The song starts off as if you're listening to the first verse through a tinny speaker, then comes on full very suddenly at the second verse. It starts in a minor key, had a vaguely Spanish flavor to it, and I think the chorus (in a major key) refers to 'the road" in its lyrics.

KFOG in San Francisco used to play it quite a lot, so I guess you'd call it Modern Rock ten years ago, and I'd like to hear it again, but haven't got a clue even to what the song is about. Help me, MeFi!
posted by DandyRandy to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Is it this?
posted by cmyk at 9:21 PM on June 22, 2006

Wow! - 5 minutes! Indeed it is, and thank you, cmyk.

Ain't MeFi Fun!
posted by DandyRandy at 9:24 PM on June 22, 2006

Wow, I'd forgotten all about that song. It was a fun little late 90's song.
posted by evariste at 10:04 PM on June 22, 2006

And all this time I had thought it was Elvis Costello. Glad to know the real deal now!
posted by tentacle at 10:24 PM on June 22, 2006

I wouldn't really call them a one-hit wonder, though. Their song Fire Escape was pretty popular as well (they have 2 singers in the band which is why the singer sounds different in those songs). So I guess we could call them a 2 hit wonder.
posted by witchstone at 6:40 AM on June 23, 2006

That song was pretty much a rip-off of Tom Jones' "Delilah," no?
posted by chococat at 10:17 AM on June 23, 2006

« Older How can I properly connect my internal wireless...   |   Whither Capnius? Newer »