I need a handyman/contractor STAT
June 19, 2006 12:01 PM   Subscribe

So after my water heater started leaking (a water heater that was located curiously in the attic), I've lost about half the ceiling in my bathroom to water damage. Does anyone know a reasonably priced and RELIABLE handyman/contractor in the Tampa Bay area? I'm in North Tampa, near Lutz, if that helps. Speed is of the essence, since there is a giant, AC sucking hole in the ceiling. The water heater has also been replaced already. I just need the ceiling fixed.
posted by Ikazuchi to Home & Garden (6 answers total)
I've heard that you can get very good trustworthy contractors through Service Magic. I've listed a few jobs there for pricing purposes., gotten fast response and follow up from contractors via the telephone, usually within an hour or two.
posted by willmize at 12:05 PM on June 19, 2006

I used them to find a local cabinetmaker to put together some built-ins and was very happy with the result. Just be SUPER SPECIFIC as to what you need.
posted by luriete at 12:25 PM on June 19, 2006

I've used Service Magic before too, twice with good result, and twice without any responses at all.

I have put in an e-mail with my cousin, who owns a Lutz-local airconditioning company to see if they have any local contractors they like to use for wall and ceiling repairs.
posted by tomierna at 12:50 PM on June 19, 2006

I would recommend checking Angie's List (www.angieslist.com) to see if there is a local chapter for Tampa. It's not free, but is (IMHO) a reliable source of reviews by real people.
posted by Joh at 5:35 PM on June 19, 2006

Well, my cousin got back to me, but they use part of their extended)family which isn't terribly local (Clearwater) when they require that type of work, so they couldn't give these specific folks as a referral.

If I had the time, I'd come take a look myself since I've done that type of work on previous houses. Sadly, I'm booked up for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, and good luck!
posted by tomierna at 7:22 PM on June 19, 2006

Have you checked with your homeowner's insurance? This may be a covered expense (subject, of course, to the deductible). And they may recommend a contractor.
posted by Doohickie at 7:23 AM on June 20, 2006

« Older Ethanol's pros and cons   |   After about thirty minutes I had to ask myself... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.