Online Story Search

I am looking for a story that appeared online several years ago about a man who wants to relinquish regular society and its technology and surround himself with pre-1950s technology. [ Details inside ]

The story appeared online in 1999, 2000 or 2001, and was either a comic strip, or was illustrated extensively. The illustrations were fairly plain, using only solid colors. The story was set somewhere in California --- most likely San Francisco, as I vaguely recall the protagonist working in Silicon Valley. The protagonist is in his twenties or early thirties. In the story, he decides to give up on all modern technology, and to wear only a white T-shirt, plain black pants and some standard kind of shoes. I believe he buys a typewriter, an old watch and glasses with a thick black frame, of the type you regularly see in the 40s or 50s. He may or may not be an aspiring writer doing some immersion thing.

It seems to me like something fray would do, but I was unable to find it there. Furthermore, I believed it was linked to by MetaFilter, but a Google search for 'comic' and/or 'technology' yielded nothing relevant. I enjoyed the story when I read it, and would like to see it again.

Does any of this ring a bell?
posted by ar0n to Media & Arts (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The Guy I Almost Was
posted by mathowie at 2:39 PM on December 19, 2003

I kiss you!
posted by ar0n at 2:42 PM on December 19, 2003

« Older good, small, inexpensive speakers   |   Was Saddam Hussein's movie "The Long Days" ever... Newer »