Fix my Blackberry

My crackberry is doing something strange...

Up until today my Blackberry 7290 has been working fine, but I noticed a few hours ago that when I press and hold the escape button it no longer ends calls. Since this is how I've always done it the only way I can figure to now is by turning it off. This is annoying and probably not good. What happened? Is there an option I might've changed? I can't see anything in there for it. Please help!
posted by saraswati to Technology (7 answers total)

My guess would be that the keyboard is broken.
posted by Steven C. Den Beste at 6:53 PM on June 16, 2006

Press in the scroll wheel, select "End Call" and you should be all set. It does sound like a setting issue, especially if the excape key works for getting out from other applications. Not sure how to switch it back, through.

If you can't excape from anything, then Steven might be right that it's a malfunction.
posted by NotMyselfRightNow at 6:55 PM on June 16, 2006

Yes definitely should've mentioned that escape works everywhere else. Sorry
posted by saraswati at 7:18 PM on June 16, 2006

And also when I press in the scoll wheel I don't have an End Call option, never have.
posted by saraswati at 7:28 PM on June 16, 2006

It sounds silly, but with a lot of the later firmware revisions (version 4+) pulling the battery and putting it back in is a tried and true method of fixing a lot of software related issues on the BB.

There are a few threads on blackberryforums about the exact same issue. One person mentioned that yanking the battery fixed the problem. Hopefully it will do the trick.
posted by purephase at 8:14 PM on June 16, 2006 [1 favorite]

That did it purephase, how very strange. I tried searching but couldn't come up with a good combination of terms. Thanks a lot!
posted by saraswati at 8:21 PM on June 16, 2006

Ah, sorry. I do on my 8700, and thought I had the same feature on my old 7290, too. Glad to hear removing the battery worked for you--always have been amused how that's the all encompassing CTRL-ALT-DEL of the BlackBerry.
posted by NotMyselfRightNow at 6:04 AM on June 17, 2006

« Older Can I make my Mac laptop's screen brighter?   |   At the end of my rope Newer »