"Make me look trashy"

Flat-Iron, Blow-drier... Now what? How do I get that awesome pieced out hair. The stylist seems to be able to pull off in minutes.

I am a guy with I guess normal lenght hair for a guy, a few inches long, that gets wavy/curly if left to it's own devices.

Every other week or so I go into a Toni and Guy's (Kinda the Starbucks of Salons i guess) and have one of the people there style my hair. I tell them to flat-iron it and peice it out. "Make me look trashy" is what I say :)

The stylist will wet my hair, wash it, blow dry it, spray some protective stuff on it then go to work with a flat iron.

Once my hair is straightened, she gets out the wax stick and puts a bunch in my hair. She then pulls out peices and makes this awesome layered look that I love so much. Once done, she sprays the thing with hairspray to lock it in.

Now these styling sessions cost about $30, so I decided to just pick up a flat-iron and the hair products that she uses on me. I ended up spending about $40 after everything was done.

So I washed, blowdried, sprayed, flatironed and then put the wax into my hair, really working it in just like she does. But no matter how hard I try, it just wont work. It just looks like a mixed up mess. How do I acheive that look, what am I doing wrong? The stylists do it so fast, it's usually done in much less than 10 minutes.

I wish I could find a good picture of the result.

Is Toni&Gui really the Starbucks of salons? Decent results, consistant... but overpriced? Anybody know a better place in north Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona?
posted by kzin602 to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

If you only spent $40 total, you didn't spend enough on your flatiron (or so I'm told). That's really the only thing I can add to this conversation though.
posted by antifuse at 4:37 AM on June 15, 2006

Antifuse is right that its probably the iron, but it might not be the price. You just need to make certain its a professional flat iron. One that gets REALLY HOT. It should have a temperature gaute on it that goes up to 500 degrees.
posted by dpx.mfx at 4:46 AM on June 15, 2006

Oh, and I got mine for ~30 at a beauty supply house. I think it's a goldnhot?
posted by dpx.mfx at 4:47 AM on June 15, 2006

good flat irons do cost a lot of money, but they're worth it. the solano blue sapphire is considered one of the best. i've had mine for 5 years, it still works like new. definitely worth the investment.
posted by chelseagirl at 4:59 AM on June 15, 2006

How about going in one more time and asking the stylist to go slowly, pointing out step-by-step what he or she is doing? I know the wax/gel step always screws me up, so there's probably some finger twist thing he or she does to get all your hair pieced together, instead of all jumbled up.
posted by muddgirl at 5:03 AM on June 15, 2006

I agree that it might be the flat iron you're using. I use this ridiculously expensive flatiron. I used to use this cheapo one. The expensive one was totally worth the extra money. It is more precise b/c the ironing part is smaller and while you'd think that b/c it was smaller it would take longer, it actually takes half as much time.

Also -- did you buy the same hair product that they used in the salon? I believe Toni & Guy uses Tigi products and they're great -- you might also be having different results b/c you're using a different wax.
posted by echo0720 at 6:56 AM on June 15, 2006

Tigi "Bed Head" wax is the only wax I've tried (and I've tried plenty) that will keep my fairly stiff hair in place. I also find that twisting it into a spiked 'do (like all the kids had in 2001/2002) and then styling it flat from there really helps it hold. I think the twisting warms it and helps it adhere to the hair or something scientificy like that. Also: a little goes a long way - I used to overapply out of fear of losing that sweet look but I've since backed way off and it still holds. Good luck!
posted by ChuckLeChuck at 8:07 AM on June 15, 2006

I went through the "God, do I really have to spend THAT much on a flat iron" phase. But you really do. More than any product I've ever bought, it's one of those things where you truly get what you pay for. I'm using a Sedu now, which costs me $125 on sale and works perfectly.
posted by lunalaguna at 7:21 PM on June 15, 2006

« Older I've lost that intrepid reporter feeling   |   What sports are best suited for short people? Newer »