How do I Remove the Bypass from a new GE Refrigerator ?? It's super tight.
June 14, 2006 7:45 PM   Subscribe

Bought a brand new condo that came with a GE Refrigerator with built-in filtered water dispenser. The new fridge came with a bypass in place of a filter -- How in the world do I get it out so I can replace it with a real filter?? It is SUPER tight.

The bypass is screwed in so tightly I cannot, for the life of me, get it out so I can install a filter. Any suggestions for getting it out? I called the GE Help Line and they told me to dispense some water to relieve some pressure before turning. I tried that -- I tried pliers -- I tried everything.. Any suggestions?

The dispenser is exactly like the one in this fridge:

I've read the manual.. It says to turn it counter-clockwise.. I just want it out!!

(And bonus points if you can help me get a mark off the wall of non-washable paint. We got a scratch on the wall, and accidentally tried washing it off with a RED bath towel. Now the wall has a reddish tint. Any way to fix it without repainting the area??)

Thank you!!
posted by seinfeld to Home & Garden (7 answers total)
For the mark on the wall, go get one of those Mr. Clean magic eraser things. I'll bet that will do the trick.
posted by MsMolly at 8:05 PM on June 14, 2006

Be careful with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It can take the finish off the paint. I have some low-gloss eggshell paint in my apartment and I used a Magic Eraser and it made the area I used it on dull. Completely removed the stain, though. Luckily, it's in an innocuous place, so the dullness isn't noticeable to anyone but me.
posted by MeetMegan at 8:08 PM on June 14, 2006

We bought a frigidaire fridge and the filter in it came w/ this plastic unscrewer thing, kinda the opposite of an alan wrench. Is it possible yours came with one? I'm guessing if it'd be w/ the manual or worst case, you could go to a parts supply place/website and order a new one.
posted by lannanh at 8:21 PM on June 14, 2006

Response by poster: We too have eggshell paint so I'll abide by your advice MeetMegan and not use Mr. Clean.. Our spot is dead center on a wall near the stairs, so I do not want to risk it.

There is no such wrench, lannanh, as far as I can tell. GE confirms the fridge does not come with one. Thanks anyway.
posted by seinfeld at 8:23 PM on June 14, 2006

Is the bypass just a spool of plastic? or a bypass lever on the head where the filter threads in and a red pressure release button?

It's rather hard to give good advice without a photo.

If you can't get a strap wrench (if indeed it will work with this bypass) you can always use rosin spray to increase grip.

If the strap wrech works and it is a charcoal filter make sure you flush it for quite a bit before putting it to use.
posted by plumberonkarst at 8:35 PM on June 14, 2006

It may be easier to install a new filter on the line supplying the fridge, let the bypass be bypass.
posted by hortense at 9:37 PM on June 14, 2006

Response by poster: plumberonkarst: It's a spool of plastic, I assume. It's not a lever of any sort.
posted by seinfeld at 7:32 AM on June 15, 2006

« Older giant stomach   |   I need to download google! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.