Experiences of intensive NLP courses

Has anyone done a one or 2 week intensive NLP practitioner course?

Did it make a real difference in your life? Was it just okay or even rubbish?

How has it changed you, your abilities and how you interact with other people?
posted by lunkfish to Education (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I know people who have done serious in-depth (long term) academic study of NLP who have had great professional benefit in managing people and problem-solving. But the ads I've seen for courses like what you describe don't seem to be the same type of serious study.

Have you tried reading some books on the topic?
posted by winston at 2:00 PM on June 14, 2006

I know a couple of people who have achieved NLP practitioner status.

Not convinced it has given them too many special insights or powers to influence or intepret others. But some of the NLP wonks do seem to reckon they now have special abilities. Maybe that's enough in itself.

You may want to read this fascinating Guardian article in which Jon Ronson touches on some of the issues and people involved in NLP. Despite some reservations (which are well explored by others on the web), Ronson comes out "grateful" for his NLP expeerience.
posted by skylar at 2:02 PM on June 14, 2006

Wow, reminds me of Landmark Education, which a friend convinced me to try a few years ago. Some neat ideas, some useful techniques, but in the end it's a cult.

Balance your desire for the end result against your tolerance for creepiness and the resilience of your ego.
posted by bjrubble at 3:02 PM on June 14, 2006

Cheers. The cult trappings do put me off to be honest, but it does seem to work in some ways like the guy in the article says. I dunno.
posted by lunkfish at 1:00 AM on June 15, 2006

« Older Full stop, no stop, or what?   |   Please help a JavaScript idiot Newer »