Re-installed WinXP Won't Show CSS Images

Re-installed Windows XP on my old laptop (Sony PCG-SRX87). Let it run through all the updates. Now neither IE nor Firefox will show CSS background images.

Example: when I view Gmail or Google Spreadsheets, there's no background images for any of the rows. Searching Google for css, background images, service pack 2, firefox, internet explorer, troubelshooting, etc... checked Internet Options, Windows Firewall, turned off firewall, turned off virus scanner. Any ideas?

Bonus and maybe related: text sizes in IE are huge. I go to View > Text Size and it is set to Medium but if I got to AOL.com homepage the headlines are massive.
posted by ao4047 to Computers & Internet (2 answers total)

It sounds like a lot of "handicapped" options are turned on, things intended to help the vision-impaired.

Try tools->Internet Options->General, and press the "Accessibility" button, and turn everything off.
posted by Steven C. Den Beste at 8:31 PM on June 12, 2006

OMG - that was it. I think I'd had problems with Sticky Keys turning on and off and so I had futzed with that. Never ever thought to look there. THANKS!
posted by ao4047 at 9:08 PM on June 12, 2006

« Older "So what are you doing now?" "Oh, nothing. How's...   |   Diamond Dust Mirror Newer »