Is there an Incredibles toy I could buy somewhere for my son that is a reproduction of the "Octopus Robot" that Syndrome controls -- given that my son is apparently obsessed by this robot?

posted by Mr. Justice to Shopping (9 answers total)

Yes. Here's one on ebay. Look up "Omnidroid."
posted by MegoSteve at 7:16 PM on June 8, 2006

Holy crap....you calling it the Octopus robot just made me realize that the whole "build a robot and attack civilzation" thing in the Incredibles is lifted directly from "Watchmen". You calling it an Octopus triggered my memory of the squid like thing in Watchmen.
posted by cosmicbandito at 10:31 PM on June 8, 2006

the whole "build a robot and attack civilzation" thing in the Incredibles is lifted directly from "Watchmen".

Not to be too terribly snarky, but ... uhh, hello? The entire film is one giant homage.
posted by frogan at 11:53 PM on June 8, 2006

The entire film is one giant homage.

To Watchmen? I guess there's the banishment-of-superheroes thing and the create-a-robot-and-then-destroy-it thing, but they take place in fundamentally different types of worlds and none of the characters seem equivalent. Also, qvqa'g Bmlznaqvhf perngr gur fdhvq-sebz-fcnpr va beqre gb gel naq fnir uhznavgl? Ur jnf gelvat gb perngr fbzrguvat gung gur uhzna enpr pbhyq evfr hc ntnvafg, nf jvgu bar ibvpr, naq trg cnfg gur crggl fdhnooyrf gung arneyl qrfgeblrq gur cynarg?

Flaqebzr, ba gur bgure unaq, jnf whfg gelvat gb trg gur nqhyngvba bs gur znffrf.

posted by bshort at 6:51 AM on June 9, 2006

I was reading Watchmen right around 9/11. Freaked me out.
posted by craniac at 8:22 AM on June 9, 2006

none of the characters seem equivalent

It's not a giant homage to the Watchmen, specifically, but an homage to comic books in general ... some examples (I'm sure there are more) ... The entire Parr family is an analog to the Fantastic Four ... Dash's urge to use his powers in front of his friends is a lift from old Superboy comics ... The Underminer at the very end of the film is a satire on Mole Man, who was, like, the second villain the Fantastic Four faced (so it's ironic when he shows up at the end of the movie).
posted by frogan at 9:23 AM on June 9, 2006

Well, and that whole plotline from Watchmen -- which is itself a work of tremendous homage -- is from The Outer Limits episode "The Architects of Fear."
posted by blueshammer at 9:50 AM on June 9, 2006

Edna Mode's rant against capes seems directly inspired by Hollis Mason's Under the Hood anecdote about Dollar Bill being shot dead when his cape got stuck in a revolving door.
posted by Scoo at 10:14 AM on June 9, 2006

If you think he might like a t-shirt with the robot on it, go here.
posted by MsMolly at 11:52 AM on June 9, 2006

« Older Landlord/Tenant Carpet Dispute! Raaar!   |   What can I do south of the border? Newer »