SongFilter

Help me identify a country song I heard.

The song is very long, i want to say as long as 10 minutes and, as I recollect, consists mostly of a single guitar and vocal phrase sung/whined over and over. I believe the phrase was either "I'm going back to Denver with nothing on my mind" or "I'm on my way back to Denver with nothing on my mind".
posted by nathancaswell to Media & Arts (9 answers total)

lyrics
George Hamilton IV Back to Denver ?

"But sometimes I wish I was thumbin' my way back to Denver

With nothin' to bother my mind and nothin' ahead but blue sky highway and time"
posted by stuartmm at 9:38 AM on June 5, 2006

Was it Back to Denver?
posted by hangashore at 9:39 AM on June 5, 2006

dammit, stuartmm!

Response by poster: No, if I am remembering correctly the only line in the entire song was "I'm going back to Denver with nothing on my mind". I'll try to find that song and confim that it isn't, but I don't remember any of the other lyrics listed there.
posted by nathancaswell at 9:40 AM on June 5, 2006

Response by poster: Definately not that song. Thinking about it more, I'm pretty sure the lyrics didn't come in until a good 5-6 minutes into the song, and didn't change much once they did.

I'm really hoping that it's actually Denver and I'm not substituting another city that he was on his way back to.
posted by nathancaswell at 11:15 AM on June 5, 2006

When did you hear the song? Radio stations tend to keep a running list of which song was played at which time of the day, so you could find out there if you can remember. Surely the DJ recalls if it was 10+ minutes.
posted by vanoakenfold at 1:34 PM on June 5, 2006

Response by poster: Unfortunately I was was played the song by someone I can't contact rather than hearing it on the radio.
posted by nathancaswell at 1:39 PM on June 5, 2006

I received an email from a person without a metafilter account as the original poster does not list an email address.

They thought it may be;

Townes Van Zandt "Colorado Girl"

It has more than just that line also but may be a live version.
posted by stuartmm at 8:42 AM on June 6, 2006

Response by poster: It was Henry Flynt's "Blue Sky, Highway And Thyme"... so ask.mefi got the homage if not the actual song. Thanks for the help, the nagging feeling that the Hamilton lyrics were almost right, but not quite, got me pointed in the right direction.
posted by nathancaswell at 9:24 AM on June 18, 2006

« Older Ouchy Feet   |   has you ever noticed the ads in the spam folder... Newer »