e-file for citizenship?

I was wondering if it is better to mail in your application for American citizenship, or e-filing. Does anyone have experience with e-filing?
posted by ishmael to Law & Government (5 answers total)

I filed my application via certified mail in 2003 and became a US citizen 18 months later. In my experience, electronic filing was unnecessary.
posted by Mr. Six at 10:04 AM on June 3, 2006

Can you e-file? I don't see anything about it on the USCIS pages about naturalization. You're talking about N-400 application?
posted by normy at 10:17 AM on June 3, 2006

If its anything like the US patent office, I'd stick with the tried and true mailing. Their online filing system was full of bugs and glitches last time I looked at it.
posted by StickyCarpet at 10:41 AM on June 3, 2006

Actually, StickyCarpet, the USPTO has a new e-filing system for patents that actually works well (finally). The trademark side has had an excellent e-filing system for even longer. In each, e-filings are entered into the system much quickly than paper. If ishmael were dealing with the PTO I would recommend e-filing over paper, but for the INS or DHS or whoever they are these days, I have no idea.
posted by exogenous at 10:56 AM on June 3, 2006

My wife filed her green card renewal online. Two years and several lost files later, she got her replacement card.

Stick with paper. And keep copies.
posted by spacewrench at 11:29 AM on June 3, 2006

« Older Becoming a switch hitter...   |   Why I Should Not Have Gotten A Credit Card Newer »