Good Restaraunt in Alameda?

Where is a good place to meet some friends for dinner close to here in Alameda, CA?
posted by quadog to Food & Drink (6 answers total)

There's not a lot of dining options on that side of Alameda. On the other side however...

Spieskammer / directions
Excellent hearty German grub. Meats, sausage, beers, spaetzle, and even veg options.

Angelfish / directions
Superb fish expertly prepared. For friends familiar with the East Bay, it's run by an ex-Kirala guy.

Yume Sushi / directions
Traditional sushi (no rolls, etc) in a small, intimate setting. Won't take parties over 5 people.

Pappo / directions
High-class California/French/Med without the bank-busting prices.

You can also find reviews of them on this East Bay Express link. I've been to them all and I really enjoy Spiesekammer for a great casual meal and Angelfish for something a bit fancier.
posted by junesix at 1:34 PM on May 24, 2006

Seconding Speisekammer.
posted by oneirodynia at 1:43 PM on May 24, 2006

I'm partial to Quinns. It's good if you're in to pub food, good beer selection. It's not on Alameda, but it's easily driveable and with the weather today you'd be hard pressed to find a better place to have a beer in the sun on their deck.
posted by iamabot at 2:15 PM on May 24, 2006

Thirding Speisekammer - they also have an outdoor space.
posted by Wolfie at 4:39 PM on May 24, 2006

I would recommend heading to Park Street too. Kamakura is good for sushi (Santa Clara, just up from Park). There is a new-ish sushi place at Santa Clara and Webster, I forget the name, which is pretty good. There is also a new mexican-looking place on Webster near Lincoln. You can always walk up and down Webster and look at menus. The-place-that-used-to-be-Croll's at Central and Webster does passable meat pies.
posted by beetsuits at 5:33 PM on May 24, 2006

I've found yelp.com to be a very effective way of finding restaurants in the Bay Area.
posted by trevyn at 9:26 PM on May 24, 2006

« Older Top Picks for non-Region 1 DVDs?   |   Is propecia worth it? Newer »