What was this ABC's staff announcer's name?

There was a staff announcer that did ABC promos (and newscast intros for affiliates) in the 1970s-80s-90s. He also appeared (in sample form) on the Beatmasters remix of Depeche Mode's "Route 66." He had this distinctive baritone, and it's bugging me that I can't figure out his name. Sound samples included.

Here are some examples of his voice:
KABC news intro
KOMO news intro
"Route 66 (Beatmasters Mix)" (you can only hear his voice in the first 3-4 seconds)

Any idea? Or do I wait for Google Sound to come out?
posted by dw to Media & Arts (12 answers total)

Best answer: Isn't that the same guy who did the "Tonight...on the Looooooove Boat"? Ernie Anderson. (See here for Ernie Anderson samples. His wiki bio has more.
posted by acoutu at 8:20 AM on May 23, 2006

Sounds like him to me. I played the KABC news intro from the question and the TV/Radio clip from the ernie site at the same time, and they sound (if not identical) really really close.
posted by vanoakenfold at 8:36 AM on May 23, 2006

Response by poster: Brilliant. Thanks much!
posted by dw at 8:36 AM on May 23, 2006

So who was the guy that did the Levi's commercials in the early '70s and also (i think) some of 7Up from the same period (kind of psychedelic/art deco animation)? I thought I was the same guy, but it doesn't sound right.
posted by doctor_negative at 9:39 AM on May 23, 2006

Hmmm, IMDB says it is John Harlan
posted by m@ at 9:51 AM on May 23, 2006

Dr.Negative...I vaguely recall those ads. It might have been Ken Nordine. His spiel is certainly trippy enough for what you describe. I know he did a ton of advertising back in the day.
posted by Thorzdad at 10:12 AM on May 23, 2006

Definitely Nordine.
posted by DandyRandy at 10:53 AM on May 23, 2006

Response by poster: Nordine's word jazz was very influential on Tom Waits and his spoken-word pieces, e.g. "What's He Building In There?"
posted by dw at 11:04 AM on May 23, 2006

Oh yeah. I recall, as a youngster back in the 60's, hearing Nordine's radio spots for, I believe, Midas mufflers (or some other national auto repair place). Really captivating, trippy stuff.
Proof that art and commerce can certainly coexist peaceably.
posted by Thorzdad at 11:51 AM on May 23, 2006

The Nordine Levi's ad
Yes, there was a time when "Dacron Polyester" was a selling point...
posted by Thorzdad at 12:00 PM on May 23, 2006 [1 favorite]

That's the guy. Thanks folks.
posted by doctor_negative at 12:49 PM on May 23, 2006

Oh, and thanks for bringing back the KOMO memories. :)
posted by acoutu at 3:18 PM on May 23, 2006

« Older How much can the person I'm borrowing wireless...   |   ibook+humid climate= bad? Newer »