Need a divorce lawyer on the Peninsula

Well, I've looked through other posts and took the advice to heart. Anybody have any recommendations for a divorce attorney in the San Francisco Bay Area? Preferably on the Peninsula.
posted by Daddio to Law & Government (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Sorry to hear you need a divorce lawyer, Daddio. Having gone down that road, I know it's no fun.

When I was looking for a divorce lawyer, I interviewed a number of different attorneys in the Bay Area, and was sort of surprised at how many assholes I encountered. I say this as an attorney myself, I am fully aware that the legal world is full of assholes. I'm also aware that matrimonial law is a contentious field. As a corporate lawyer, however, my experience was that lawyers are assholes with each other but generally manage to find some bright spot of their personality to charm potential clients. That wasn't my experience being on the client end of the interview when dealing with divorce lawyers. One of the other issues I encountered was that some of the San Francisco-based attorneys were only interested if the amount of potential community property was at least seven digits. I found that a bit mercenary, but understandable.

In the end, I chose a firm based in Walnut Creek, which was not close to where I lived. IIRC I only had to go to the firm in person once or twice, (everything else was handled over the phone and email) so it wasn't terribly onerous, and because they are in Walnut Creek, the overhead is a bit lower than someplace more high-rent, so that was a plus. The most important thing is that I was very pleased with the quality and the tone of the legal work they provided, so I recommend them highly: Whiting, Fallon and Ross. Specifically, Andy Ross did a great job and I'd say it's worth calling him up just to compare and contrast with people you find on the peninsula.
posted by ambrosia at 11:01 AM on May 21, 2006 [1 favorite]

Do your prep work. Make a list of accounts, assets and debts. Make another list of the assets and debts you both brought to the marriage. Find your last 3 years of tax returns. If you expect to have a non-adversarial divorce, try to sit down with your spouse and think about what's fair.

My ex- was a jerk to me in many ways while we were married, and since. We have a child; 5 when we split. But even this jackass and I were able to sort out an amicable divorce with a mediator. Being really prepared saved us a lot of legal time, and therefore $. It doesn't have to be a nightmare.
posted by theora55 at 1:28 PM on May 21, 2006

Thanks, all, for the kind thoughts. I've marked olecranon's answer as best because it's closest, but I appreciate all of the help I can get.
posted by Daddio at 6:24 PM on May 23, 2006

« Older excelfilter   |   Six computers, a router, some laptops, and a NAS... Newer »