Would spirit soaked maraschino cherries work in frosting?

My brother, the ALS patient enjoys a cocktail now and then. I concur. He requested a bottle of cherry "moonshine" liquor.

After the mason jar of liquid was gone, we now have a mason jar full of spirit soaked maraschino cherries. 100 proof. I thought I might dice them up very fine and add some to vanilla frosting. Do you think that would be enough cherry flavor to make a tasty frosting? Perhaps an additional bit of cherry extract would be necessary. Conversely, would the alcohol in the cherries somehow be too strong to make a tasty frosting. Otherwise I am stuck with a bunch of alcohol imbued cherries. They would work in a fruitcake but we are not fans. Thanks.
posted by Czjewel to Food & Drink (13 answers total)

sounds tasty. i say: go for it
posted by HearHere at 4:35 AM on July 7 [2 favorites]

Frosting would probably work.
What I would do though is chop or blend them up real fine and then spread it as a very thin layer in the middle of a chocolate cake in a lazy black forest sort of way.
posted by phunniemee at 5:17 AM on July 7 [29 favorites]

I'd say the frosting might end up tasting more of booze than of cherries, so a bit of cherry extract would probably be helpful.

In the past I've used Kirsch-soaked cherries in dark chocolate brownies and they were pretty delicious, especially served with whipped cream.
posted by fight or flight at 5:54 AM on July 7 [3 favorites]

Make two layers of chocolate cake and whipped cream. Halve some cherries and layer them with whipped cream in the middle and then top the second layer with whipped cream and whole cherries. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings. You now have a fairly traditional black forest cake (I think the gooey filling is more of an American invention).

If you can get a little liquor out of the cherries, brush that onto the cake layers to moisten as well.
posted by ssg at 7:15 AM on July 7 [2 favorites]

If you need a little more sweetness, buy a jar of Luxardo cherries and some of the syrup and/or cherries. And then use the rest in your own cocktails.
posted by snuffleupagus at 8:27 AM on July 7

You are so disciplined. I'd just eat them, then make more, because liquor-soaked cherries are so amazing.

You can soak olives in gin, and enjoy them without having to drink a martini. It's good to get your fruit & veg.
posted by theora55 at 9:03 AM on July 7 [5 favorites]

Response by poster: theora55 ...I would soak olives on vodka and eat them. The cherries are so sweet though,
posted by Czjewel at 9:48 AM on July 7 [1 favorite]

After soaking in white lightning for a year or so, is there any cherry flavor left? Your sense of taste will tell you. If they taste good, give it a try. Luxardo cherries (mentioned above) are the cherry-est cherries you can get, by the way.
posted by Gilgamesh's Chauffeur at 10:30 AM on July 7

I would add more alcohol and make new cherry infused 100 proof alcohol.
posted by JohnnyGunn at 11:07 AM on July 7 [2 favorites]

The Black Forest cakes are probably what I’d do, if they still taste of cherries. Second best would be the frosting-analogue I got from Rose Levy Berrnbaum on cakes, which is puréed fruit cooked with gelatin as though you were making a very! thick jam but right between when it cools and when it sets you fold it into whipped cream. Lasts beautifully.
posted by clew at 4:29 PM on July 7

Response by poster: Cleve, that sounds marvelous. And I love a true Black forest cake. Ate many when I was stationed in Bavaria during the Viet Nam war.
posted by Czjewel at 5:25 PM on July 7

Response by poster: I meant clew.
posted by Czjewel at 5:56 PM on July 7 [1 favorite]

I think the alcohol will over power the icing. I'd chop them up and make jello shots if you're into that. They're suppose to be alcoholic so a little burst of 100 proof cherry would fit right in.
posted by stray thoughts at 4:59 PM on July 8

« Older Tell me everything you know about The Muppet Show!   |   Will I be a third wheel if I adopt two cats? Newer »