How to plan a two-person move

If all goes well, in a couple of months I will be moving in with my partner to a place slightly smaller than my current one. My mind is going blank as I try to work out how to schedule this move. Would love some thoughts/strategies!

We will be moving two apartments into one. Fortunately, neither of us is moving a great distance. He is bringing less stuff than I am, for sure, but we definitely both need to hire movers. (We're old and we are not carrying sofas up narrow staircases anymore.) We will likely be using the same moving company, because we both like them.

How should we schedule this move? The options that occur to me are:

1) The moving company moves us BOTH at once? e.g., start at my house, go to his, then on to the new one? (Yes I realize this will need to be a question for the specific company - but in general, is this a thing/have you done it/how did it go?)
2) We schedule my move on one day and his the next day. (Or vice-versa, but my bed is the one we're keeping so he'd need to spend the night at mine if he went first.)
3) We just try to schedule 2 separate moves on one day and make sure the timing doesn't directly overlap.
4) A secret fourth thing?

We are able to move on a weekday and mid-month which may open us up as far as mover schedules go.

The apartment hunt was super stressful so I may be overcomplicating all of this out of residual anxiety. Would appreciate your thoughts!
posted by We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese to Home & Garden (11 answers total)

Option 1 is common even among 1 household moves, as people will move stuff from both an apartment and a storage unit to a house or from a house to a smaller house and a storage unit. It will cost more than moving the same amount of stuff from one location and less than scheduling two completely separate moves.
posted by jacquilynne at 8:35 AM on May 8 [12 favorites]

I just got a quote from a moving company and one of the questions on the form was "do we need to stop anywhere else on the way?" so I think this is definitely an option at least with some moving companies. A friend also had her movers stop to pick up a couch that she had bought on fb marketplace during her move.

If possible, 1 seems like a best bet unless 2 seems way less stressful to you.
posted by mskyle at 8:36 AM on May 8 [1 favorite]

I'm moving in with my boyfriend this coming Friday and we're doing #1, our moving company is moving us both on the same day and treated it like a completely normal practice when I asked about it. They mapped our locations and determined the best order based on that. We got a small discount for combining our moves into a single day, a savings of about $300.
posted by anderjen at 8:49 AM on May 8 [3 favorites]

I'm doing a version of this where the logistics entail two separate moves, and let me tell you, this is not the cheaper option! If you're both in the same area, I think most of the move quotes I've begun have explicitly indicated they could accommodate a two stop move of some kind (e.g. another house, a storage unit, etc).

(Also, here's a useful piece of information: one company I talked to mentioned that dates in July are expected to sell out about 6 weeks in advance.)
posted by advil at 9:58 AM on May 8 [1 favorite]

I think an advantage of combining the moves on one day is that this prevents the problem of one person moving in first, and then the other person moving in second and needing to fit things in around what is already there. This way it is both of your space and you can settle in simultaneously.
posted by Dip Flash at 10:55 AM on May 8

When Mr. Kouti and I moved in together, we did #1. It was the first time either of us had hired movers, and it couldn't have gone more smoothly. Started at his place, then when the movers were done there, we locked up his place and met them at my place five miles north an hour later, then when the movers were done at my place, we locked up my place and met them at our place two miles north half an hour after that. They finished an hour early, nothing got broken, everything got put into the room it was labeled for, it was like buttah. We hired them again a couple of years later when we moved a little further out, had an even easier experience, and gushingly recommended them to local friends and family for years after.

The dream is possible! :)
posted by Pandora Kouti at 1:13 PM on May 8

Another vote for #1. The movers started the day at my apartment, we then drove to my boyfriend's apartment, then unloaded everything at the new place. They were supremely unphased by this turn of events, and they were just the regular movers you hire along with a Uhaul truck in my area.
posted by hepta at 1:30 PM on May 8

Secret 4th thing! Have your moving company provide Pack and Move service. They have a small crew (no truck) pack both your apartments sequentially on Day1. Then do your "#1" option and move both sequentially on Day2, and they unpack a bit in the new place. Overnight between days, they leave one bed assembled, and you have a night of rustic 'camping' in one of the apartments.

I cannot recommend Pack and Move highly enough. You will pay a reasonable rate for their time, they will provide all boxes and materials-- and, they will pack 10x faster than you could. Three workers took our 3bed apartment, with 10 years of accumulated belongings, from fully-lived-in, to fully-boxed up, in about 6 hours. I would have spent the same amount of time agonizing over one box of books and keepsakes.
posted by hovey at 1:30 PM on May 8

Response by poster: I cannot recommend Pack and Move highly enough. You will pay a reasonable rate for their time, they will provide all boxes and materials-- and, they will pack 10x faster than you could.

Oh, packing isn't much of a concern. I have lived in 9 different places in the past 15 years -- at this point I can pack up a fully-stocked kitchen in like 45 minutes.

I am so excited to hear that Option 1 is such an actual and common thing! I have already contacted our usual moving company to see if they can do it. Both times I have moved in with someone in the past, I was moving into their existing apartment, so it's just never come up!
posted by We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese at 2:44 PM on May 8

We called movers intending to do 1) and ended up with 2) because it worked better for their scheduling and sort of for ours (it gave us more time to move a bunch of plants via our own car). It was fine. We moved the apartment that had more useful furniture in it first.
posted by A Blue Moon at 6:47 PM on May 8

You probably need to declutter / purge / reduce your items pretty aggressively in the time between now and the move (and declutter again when your stuff is combined, to cull duplicate items). YouTube has a ton of "declutter with me" videos that make the task easier and more pleasant!

I moved recently, and in addition to using cardboard boxes and plastic bags, I also bought 30 clear stackable tote boxes similar to these from the hardware store. Much easier to pack, carry, stack, find things, and unpack. Many of the boxes remained pristine after the move (they never even touched the floor as they were just stacked,) so I returned them to the store. Some got minor scratches or marks, so I kept them for storage or resold them in my neighbourhood FB group. It ended up being a bit of cash outlay at the front but quite affordable at the end.
posted by nouvelle-personne at 9:17 PM on May 8

« Older Should I try tirzepatide/semaglutide?   |   Name That Scam Newer »